Sign in to follow this  

Which is better for the Ridge 2 or 4????

Which would be better for Starvation Ridge, a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. It's tight and twisty, so light weight and power over all out power and heavier weight??

Which would be better for Starvation Ridge, a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. It's tight and twisty, so light weight and power over all out power and heavier weight??

haha, did you go to the same starvation ridge i went to? we call that 'wide freakin open' but with corners.

i rode a 2 stroke. i would be interested to try a good 4stroke with nice suspension there. the only problem i had with my 2-stroke (300exc) was needing to shift right about the time the chop was the worst coming out of a corner. i think a 4-stroke might help with that with the slightly wider powerband. of course, it would also help if i learned how to ride and just exited the corner going faster and already in a higher gear. it would also help if i had better suspension, or my suspension set better so as to take a little less of a pounding on that stuff.

it definitely seemed to me like power and acceleration were pretty important, but i got passed by guys on 2strokes and 4 strokes going very very fast.

mw

2 strokes are for the weak and infirm. Especially orange ones.

You forgot to mention our small wieners! 😢

I was on a 200 EXC and would have like to try a CRF/YZ5 250, CRF/YZF 450, and a 250 EXC for this race.

My 200 did awesome in the quick sharp corners, but it is a little twitchy at speed and probably didn't fair as well in the +50mph sections.

It was a little low-geared for this race. I felt fastest riding it on the pipe and would keep it in the meat most of the track keeping the front end light everywhere, but I have a feeling riding smoother would have been better. However, the instaneous power on that 200 was awesome for making passes anywhere not over 50mph.

I think I may have been a little smoother and faster on a 4-stroke just because they have more weight on the front-end and their suspension is built for it, and linear power. Wasn't a real advantage I saw on this track having a 10-20lb weight advantage due to the speed and non-technical terrain.

For harescrambles there is no question in my mind that 2-strokes win hands-down. Brandon promised me if I join his team he is going to do the filthy pup with me next year on his 4-stroke, he loves that race 😢

The reason I ask is, I'm considering getting a YZ 250. The 250 X was damn near perfect at the ridge, it could of used a tad more power in places, but was very forgiving and non tiring. My 450 has a tranny problem and haven't got it fixed yet, but don't think it would be the bike the x is at the ridge. I was just wondering how on some of the slick surfaces the 2 stroke was. The X was like glue in all the slick conditions and the electric start came in handy one time.

I am no authority on the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke argument.

I rode a 2-smoker a couple of weeks ago, and was really impressed with the power and lightness of the bike. Honestly, I don't know how/where those characteristics are bad.

I keep telling myself that my 4 stroke is the best, because it is paid for, and I am going to stick with that logic for as long as I can.

😢

Plus, my wiener is too big to ride a 2 stroke.

😢

Plus, my wiener is too big to ride a 2 stroke.

Because your kack is just borderline huge, we'll make an exception for you. We do ask that you not flail it around in public and possibly poke an eye out. 😢

You need to give a two-smoke another good workout and see what works for you. I'm thinking the 300 might be a good one for you, all the low-end grunt you're used to and a wicked fast top.

I kept asking myself whether I was going to miss the thumper. The truth is, very rarely. My DRZ is dialed in both motor and suspension-wise, however, I think I'm much faster overall on my 200 EXC. I find it much easier to steer with the rear on the 200. I also enjoy the lightness. The difference between my EXC and KDX is pretty noticeable as well, both in suspension and engine characteristics as well as overall weight.

I believe that a light two-stroke with a dialed in suspension makes me faster and less tired at the end of the day. Less effort means that I have that extra strength left when I really need it. My fastest lap was my last lap at the Goldendale 24-hour. 😢

The 450SX was light and seemed to handle the jumps and bumps nicely. After coming off of the 300EXC Id say the 450 pulled the long straight LONGER than the 300 would have.

Id say its either way, what ever suits your needs. With that big 2 stroke pipe hangin down there I can see why BW's wiener would get in the way. He likes more strokes on it anyway.

I DEFINATELY need to revalve the front SX forks. The chop was KILLING my farked up elbow. 😢

2 strokes are for the weak and infirm. Especially orange ones.

😢

i agree, but i don't understand why you're riding a 4 stroke?

The reason I ask is, I'm considering getting a YZ 250.

the YZ 250 is, IMO, the most versatile dirt bike out there. it's a first rate MXer, the engine is perfect for off road bone stock, it turns very well without being twitchy, and it's very light (haven't even thrown a leg over the 05 yet). as a bonus, the 4 stroke craze really drove 2 stroke sales down. consequently, lots of dealers still have 03s with OTD prices under $5k.

the YZ is on the short list for my next bike.

jeremiah

the YZ 250 is, IMO, the most versatile dirt bike out there. it's a first rate MXer, the engine is perfect for off road bone stock, it turns very well without being twitchy, and it's very light (haven't even thrown a leg over the 05 yet). as a bonus, the 4 stroke craze really drove 2 stroke sales down. consequently, lots of dealers still have 03s with OTD prices under $5k.

jeremiah

But, their really proud of the 05's and want full retail on the damn things and I don't pay full retail for things with motors.

jeremiah

But, their really proud of the 05's and want full retail on the damn things and I don't pay full retail for things with motors.

in that case, i'd either A) "settle" for a left over 03 or 04, which are the bikes i was specifically refering to (the 05 might suck for all i know) or 😢 wait on the 05s till there's a bunch of left overs at the dealers.

seems like everyone wants full pop for a totally redesigned, current model year bike.

jeremiah

E-WA, what's the problem? Just sell some more of that green stuff you been growin, and pick up the new bike! 😢

I forgot to get back to you but I did check around (because I'm interested also)and no ones giving any deals on the 05.

I bet a CR500AF would be good at the ridge. I hear they have lots of torque down low for the slower technical stuff & weigh under 220 lbs. You might get a speeding ticket in the 100 mph section! 😢

For whatever it's worth, because I suck equally as bad on a 2t or 4t. 😢 I was not used to a track where you could actually open it up like at Starvation, spend most of my time in the woods, I think it boils down to individual preference. Personally I need to work on carrying speed into the turns. I found myself at times wishing I still had the old YZ400, with all that torque on tap and engine braking I probably would have ridden a little better. Not to mention the stiffer suspension, my 2t was set up pretty soft and I was not prepared for the pounding the came with this faster course. It's hard to say, but for me I feel the 4t would have had an edge weight-wise and all. Then again JATO bottles would not have helped me 😢. That was a fun race. 😢

E-WA, what's the problem? Just sell some more of that green stuff you been growin, and pick up the new bike! 😢

Cops took it all 😢 :cry:

Anybody get a top speed on the back road with the barbid waaar fence on either side? Just curious how fast my bike goes with only a 4 speed. I was cooking back there popping the limiter. 😢 :cry: