Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F Maintenance ?'s

Whats up peeps ? I have recently gotten this bike and just had a few maint quiestions. this is my first fourstroker so i am sure there different routines for maint then the 2 strokes. I have just repaired an oil leak from the clutch side inner case and wanted to know what type/weight oil was recomended for my bike. What is a good time frame to change the oil and the oil filter. Is it ok to use an automotive type coolant at a 50/50 mix or do i have to get the premixed stuff that my local dealer sells. how often should I change the coolant. I know these are some real basic ?'s but hey better to ask then assume.

Be sure and check out the NEW OWNERS PLEASE READ thread at the top of the forum, and go to www.thumperfaq.com (especially the sitemap) for answers to the most common questions. After you read up, if you still have questions, post 'em here.

Specifically, go to >THIS< post by wrooster and read all the links on oil. This is a VERY critical choice, and it is most important to avoid using oil with friction inhibitors as it will ruin your clutch. Wrooster is our local lube guru and his posts are generally worth reading, unless he's quacking about KICKSTAND MOUNTING BOSSES.

As far as coolant, lots of people (including myself) use Engine Ice. It is supposed to have better heat transfer properties than regular anti-freeze. Whatever you choose, make sure it is compatible with aluminum.

Hope you enjoy the bike and welcome to TT 😢