Sign in to follow this  

1 down 4 up. Get rid of neutral. move it to a separate lever

is it time to change the basic transmission and get rid of false neutrals forever? Why do we need neutral between 1st and second gear?

Can't we have a separate switch or peg or some thing to get the bike into neutral. Yes I'm a weak toed lazy newbie, but jeez I hate hitting a false neutral in the middle of a technical section.

why is that neutral between 1st and 2nd gear to begin with? Give me a separate neutral foot peg or hand lever or something. Please get that neutral position out of my shifting sequence. 😢

good idea or not?

neutral needs to be there, but i too was always curious why it wasnt in the beginning of hte sequence such as neutral, 1,2,3,4,5 instead of the way it is. But theres probably a good reason for it so just accept it for what it is a learn how to not get those false neutrals. It must be possible, i dont hear bubba or ricky complaining. 😢

ive thought of having it at the bottom, but when i get into some tough [@#$%&*!]....i wanna kno that i can just click down with my life and know that im in 1st. it would be handy in some situations, but on a reall huge hill or something, i feel more comfortable knowing that 1 is at the bottom...not neutral. i aggree, it should be on the handlebars or something, but a different peg would get complicated. i believe its between 1st and second, cause if youre just revving, you dont wanna say shift into 3rd and then neutral, just either take off in 1st or 2nd, primary gears for taking off in.

I don't think that could work because you can't be in a gear AND in neutral at the same time. You see the fault? In order to be in neutral, you must have all other gears disengaged. So it might as well be all on the same lever.

well, autospirit, its like that on the raptor 80 quads. i have ridden my friends, no its not modded or anything, bone stock and its neutral all the way at the bottom, mainly cause its a learning quad and it would be too complicated for kids from like age 5-10 to find that little spot between 1st and 2nd. it makes for easier starting for him cause you have to start it in neutral (its a semi-auto) so its cool i guess

A "false neutral" is when you get in between gears and hit a "neutral" where there isn't one.

Hitting neutral by accident is an "accidental neutral."

My old kawasaki 100 had neutral at the bottom... It sucked as bad as you guys think it would.

is it time to change the basic transmission and get rid of false neutrals forever? Why do we need neutral between 1st and second gear?

he makes it seem like he doesnt want neutral between 1st and second cause he hits it often and revs high...

My old kawasaki 100 had neutral at the bottom... It sucked as bad as you guys think it would.

Well, at least they (the KX100s) aren't like that now. But, yeah, it would be nice to have a button/lever somewhere else for neutral! I'm just learning the shifting, too and I'm always shifting into N when I don't want to. 😢

he makes it seem like he doesnt want neutral between 1st and second cause he hits it often and revs high...

correct it's an accidental neutral occurs when i miss shift between 1st and second - hit neutral the bike over revs I lose momentum and go oh crap and stub it into second

I don't want it at the bottom. I guess i want a lock out so I dont accidently go there. Why not dream of a solution.....everything is possible.

bigbob, i guess were in the same boat then. i always worry that ill hit neutral and rev it high. not that i think it'll break the bike, but im sure it isnt good. it would be pretty sweet so have something on the bars to get into neutral. its pretty well placed inbetween 1st and 2nd, but i always worry when i accelerate hard or something

Back in the day, Sachs, I believe, made a bike with five "nuetrals" (or at least that's they way it seemed).

I also remember reading about a bike that had a "rotary transmission". After you accelerated and shifted up to 5th gear, shift up once more and you WERE BACK IN FIRST again.

Good idea, huh?

wow thats dumb.....hope you were kidding on the good idea huh, unless im missing something. ive never been into 5th gear but id be afraid that id hit the shifter and cause my bike to rev to about 100,000. that would be the case, right? if i were in say 2nd pinned and i put it in 1st, it would rev reaalll far and the engine breaking would kick in and slow me reall quick, right? i couldnt imagine going from 5th to 1st

Yes, I was kidding. I found the info on the bike:

The Bridgestone Hurricane Scramblers of the late '60s and early '70s had a rotary shift pattern that was bizarre beyond belief! You would shift up through all six gears, then when you hit the shifter one more time it would go back to low gear. Imagine the surprise when the rider was in top gear, all tucked in and howling down a fire road, and snicked the lever one more time, only to be greeted with low gear and 11 million instant rpm!

only to be greeted with low gear and 11 million instant rpm!

....and a blown engine.

I guess now that i think about it. the neutral IS better in between first and second. NO matter what situation, you always know first gear is always at the bottom. ANd its less thinking to just keep slamming down until it doesnt shift anymore than to remember how many more downshifts u have until u reach first..or neutral accidentally.

but i too was always curious why it wasnt in the beginning of hte sequence such as neutral, 1,2,3,4,5 instead of the way it is.

-Just think, you're out there racing full tilt boogie and go into a low speed corner and forget what gear your in. So you slam the gearbox down a couple gears, except, oops neutral is at the bottom of the sequence. You nail throttle and whaaaaaaaaaa, panic rev. Then you fall over in the corner..... 😢

I havnt ridden many newer bikes(i ride a 85 XR250) but of the ones i have ridden i have a hard time finding neutral when i want to let alone when i dont want to. but that is just my experience and i dont have much time on a new bike.

time 4 homework YAY 😢

Neutral was not always there. I learned to ride on a 1964 Suzuki 120 that belonged to my mom, she bought it new. Anyway it was a 4 speed with N, 1, 2, 3, 4. I think they changed it cause one of the bike manufacters got sued by someone going down a steep hill, shifting for first and hitting neutral.

If you had a separate control it would add weight and complexity and you'd be the only one on the planet buying it, so the company would go bankrupt like Cannondale did.

The reason its this way, is that is what has worked best over the years. With the constand mess transmissions you should not be finding false neutrals very often. I know the KLX needed a new shifting fork that LR sold. Maybe someone has something for the DRZ if that's really a problem.

Cheers,

Bob, there will always be false neutrals. There are neutrals between every sincle gear. If it were a seperate lever, you would have to click into neutral on that lever, then shift with the other...

There has to be a neutral between every gear. 2 gears cannot be engaged at once.

This is the only thing i like on my buddie's CRF more than my bike. The crf is much more difficult to find neutral while your rolling along than the wr.