Sign in to follow this  

100LBS. lighter on landing ANY jump

I ran across this article and talked to the site owner. I'm sure you heard people say, Make sure and land with the gas on, right! Did you know it could make you 100pounds lighter on the shock? How is that? because the weight is transferred to the chain. 😢

Read this article>>> http://tootechracing.com/Engine%20torque%20-%20Suspension.htm

Did you know?

Keep it Down 😢

04 YZ250F

It's worked for everyone thats ever tried it. Thanks for the reminder. 😢

Feel free to sumo wrestle with us any time. 😢

Accelerating on landing is basic physics (transfer of energy). This is how Olympic ski jumpers fall 100 meters and land in one piece. As they fall, they are gaining speed. With motocross, when you jump you are actually loosing speed, thus the need to get on the gas the second we touch down.

Interesting theory on the transfer of energy to the chain, however I think there is also more energy transfered to the entire suspension. Applying the throttle during flight also stiffens the suspension thus absorbing some of the impact.

At any rate it works and gives me an excuse not to have to loose some of the extra weight I am carrying around.

😢

Based on what the articles says, The chain absorbs 100LBS. of a 400LBS landing. That's actually, applied tension to the chain not the suspension. I guess the other 300LBS. goes to the suspension. Give or take a few pounds.

I never would have thought 😢 chain tension played that big of a part. Go figure.

Rick Johnson put his name on the articles and his name is pretty good in the motocross cirle, you might say. I think he played a part in the study but don't quote me on that.

This knowledge also helps me understand kicker jumps that tend to bring up your back end. With less tension on the chain the back end won't kick up.

Keep it Down 😢

04 YZ250F

BTW I ride around the North Texas & OKLA area.

Accelerating on landing is basic physics (transfer of energy). This is how Olympic ski jumpers fall 100 meters and land in one piece. 😢

Your spot on about gassing it up, but the bit about ski landings needs clarrifying.

The physics of ski landing and motocross landing on down ramps is what its all about. The down ramp allows you to spread the landing force over greater time thus reducing the peak landing force and turn your vertical kinetic energy into horizontal kinetic energy. Ski landings dont accelerate as such, because they have no motor. The downward slope of the landing slope transfers the enregy from vertiacal motion into horizontal motion (even if the horizontal motion is heading down hill). Go for it gas it up on big ones it works. But on landing ramps I like to land front first as it pulls the back into line and im in the attack position as I land on a front wheel landing.

No clarification needed. Ski landing has nothing to do with transfer of power.

I was having a problem sometimes with back tire kicking up on kicker jumps but if you relieve chain tension as back tire hits cap of jump you should level out, right? Because if you have the gas on the back end will kick up.

Keep it Down 😢

I was having a problem sometimes with back tire kicking up on kicker jumps but if you relieve chain tension as back tire hits cap of jump you should level out, right? Because if you have the gas on the back end will kick up.

Keep it Down 😢

err. are you sure about that because its news to me.

i have found backing off early makes the rear higher the front well actually the front lower that the rear.

for us thumper riders we should be powering off the top of jumps and powering on the landings.

correct me if i'm wrong