Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X vs WR250F???

I'm looking to get my very first dirt bike. I'm 6'1 190 lbs and will be doing mostly trail and some MX track all in NorCal. I've narrowed my choices between the CRF250X and WR250F. Any feedback on either bike to help me make a decision would be appreciated. 😢

Also I stopped by the dealer and 04 and 05 models are available. Are the changes for 05 worth paying a little more? 😢

Last question what prices are you seeing for these bikes new out the door in CA?

😢

In general the WRFs are much more reliable than the CRFs. Of course you're going to hear that here because the is the Yamaha forum, but it's true. Search the CRF forum for terms like "valve" & "piston skirt". It seems like nearly everyone is convinced that Honda has a problem in these areas, but they are also puzzled why Honda hasn't done anything about it. There is even a "sticky note" at the top of the CRF forum that tells quite a bit about the valve problems. Valve failures in these high RPM 4 strokes are very expensive.

The WRF has been around for several years, and Yamaha pretty much has the bugs worked out. Search this forum for the sames terms, and you'll quickly see the difference.

WR250's will RUNAWAY from a honda any day

That depends on the riders......

Gooseit

Absolutely true, although the WRF does have more power.

The Yamaha is by far more reliable than the Honda. If I were getting a yamaha I would check out the YZ. My opinion is the YZ steers better due to different steering geometry, and the YZ has better gear ratios than the WR for woods ridding. I live on the east coast.

I am in a similar situation. Ridden snowmobiles my entire life, but looking to start dirt biking. I've narrowed my choices to the crf250x or the wr250f. I read a alot about the "top heavy feeling of the wr".... Being a novice, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. The 05 wr250f is supposed to have a lowered engine cradle. Has anyone ridden one and if so did it help the handling? Thanks.

I used to ride XR's (still own one), so in comparison my WR CARVES through the woods. Maybe someone who is used to a lighter 2 smoke wouldn't like it, but it feels good to me. To be fair, I've also ridden the CRF, and it does turn a little better at low speed. But it felt a little twitchy at higher speeds (upper part of 2nd and 3rd gear). You may be able to adjust the steering geometry, but the cost of valves kind of makes this a no brainer.