Sign in to follow this  

Service Honda playing games??

I read on the these forums and Rick Ramsey's website that both Tuner, and Rick have purchased 05 CRF250X cylinder heads from Service Honda (SH), and that they are a great improvement (especially in conjunction with a 270cc kit).

So I try an place an online order via the SH website, using the part no's that Rick has on his website, and the SH oredring system does not recognise the part no's.

So i send an email to SH asking about the price and availability of the 05 crf250 heads, and get a reply back saying that the 05 cylider head is not available yet, and that the part no that I quoted from Rick's website is for an 04 cylinder head (even though the 04 part no. on the SH website is a different number again).

I then reply advising that I understand 2 other people have already bought 05 cylinder heads under this p/n and have taken delivery so they must be available.

I then get another reply from SH advising that this is an 04 part no and the 05 part isn't available until next year.

😢

Do I assume that they have a stock of 04 cylinder heads that they want to get rid of, before they get swamped with orders for 05 heads??

Service Honda is not listing the 2005 parts yet. If there is any complaint that I would have about this bike or Honda in general is that oem parts are a little slow getting here. Not that I have needed any parts for my bike. 😢

For convienence I listed Service Honda as a source for the '05 head, knowing them to be reliable, and affordable. The '05 head I used was furnished by another source...... Sorry for any misinformation. At the time I ordered my head (a couple of months ago) there were 6 available in the Honda parts system.

They don't have the 05 parts listed on their site. I called them and got an 05 "R" head but it was higher in price than the 04 which was $221.

Unless Honda anticipated increased sales of '05 heads to owners of '04's (Very doubtful), they probably didn't produce a lot of '05 replacement heads.

Wilkinson14,

Was the price in your post for the '04. or '05?

Please keep in mind that there are three different bikes (R, X-49, and X-CA) and two model years ('04 and '05), so always be specific. FYI, the head assembly part numbers are listed below:

12010-KRN-xxx where xxx indicates specific model:

670 - early '04 250R

671 - later '04 250R and all '04 250X 49 state

672 - newest '04 250R

730 - '05 250R

The '04 250X CA part number is 12010-KSC-770

The '05 250X part number has not been released yet, nor is the part itself available. Honda has indicated on their web site that the '05 250X has a new rear hub only, so there may be no new head assembly for the '05 250X.

What Tuner and I have done/are doing is putting the '05 250R head assembly on the '04 250X 49 state model. I am using all other '04 250X parts. The '05 head intake ports provide increased mid-range power and throttle response due to their oval shape, smaller cross section, and shorter path.

You can put the new '05 head assembly on by itself with no other changes, or also use a different cam, exhaust header/muffler, and of course jetting (R, X-49, X-CA, X-CCC, JD). And also, the ThumperRacing 270 big-bore kit.

The '05 250R head assembly (12010-KRN-730) cost me $210.64, shipping extra.

Hey Rick,

Have you got that pup runnin' yet? By the way, another TT member PM'ed me, and said he had checked, and the part numbers for the '04 and '05 "X" heads are the same....

The '05 250X part number has not been released yet, .

Sorry that was a typo in my original post, I enquired to SH about the 05 250R part no. that was listed on your website (05 CRF250 head p/n 12010-KRN-730)

It just annoys that that obviously Wilkinson14 has also purchased one from them, but the sales rep I've been emailing is denying their availability, and claims that the p/n i quoted (from ricks website, and as listed above) is an 04 part no. 😢

I suspect that they are trying to get rid of their stock of 04 parts, (which presumably they might have stocked up on with the valve issues), and are trying to clear that before the demand for the obviously superior 05 head leaves them with a bunch of slow moving stock. 😢