Sign in to follow this  

Going to run my first hare scramble Sunday

Yep - race is Sunday - my first race or competition of any kind ever 😢

Should be fun - I am excited 😢

I am running the 4-stroke C class - 1.5 hour race, have electronic transponders as lap counters. The trail is a 7 mile loop

All I know is 1 1/2 hours of gettin it is gonna wear me out

So - any advice at all (other than to go realllly fast, and if a tree gets in my way....turn 😢)

Excuse my ignorance, I'm familiar with flat track, baja, sm, mx, and drag racing. Did I miss anything..., but what is a Hare Scramble? I've heard the term, but I don't know what it means. 😢

Me and another dual sport bud usualy run one, maybe two scrambles a year for the last six years. To date I've run them all on my '98 RXC 400 KTM and had a blast. We ride in the trail rider class and usually finish mid pack. My advice would be to ride at about 85% of your ability and just be consistent and smooth. You do this and you will be fast enough to have fun and avoid crashing, and you will beat a few guys. You may beat alot of guys, I dunno, I get jazzed when I finish mid pack after two hours of racing. Not too bad for a 48 year old guy, Make sure your bike has a skid plate/case guards and especially bark busters and if you have a Camelback that will help alot too. You'll have a blast. Be sure to report back how you do.

-TF

'98 RXCe400 LC4

'03 KLX400SR

The first thing to remember at a Harescramble is to try to pace yourself, 1.5 hours can be a long time on the seat. You want to just try to finish. Don't worry about where you are running in your class. If really fast guys come up behind you GET OT OF THE WAY!!

Get some good tires !! 😢 :cry: Wish I could be there!!!! 😢

its like a long motocross over different terrain.like desert racing but not in the desert.

the "laps" are usually a few miles long.

Yeah - I think to pace myself at a good rate - at least to where I keep a quick lap time, and not wear out quick - thats a good thing to keep in mind. May be hard to do with all the adrenaline and excitment for my first race 😢

Do not hang back on the start, go for the holeshot. The closer to the front you are when you hit the woods the better. As stated, pace yourself. Do you have a hydration back pack? That was the best money I ever spent. You will get thirsty! Good luck, let us know how you do 😢

I tend to get excited and try to run with the real fast guys for the first 15 min. then try to maintain without dieing for the rest of the race. Two things to remember; most of the guys that leave you at the start(like me) you will catch and probably pass, and hydrate, 1.5 hours of hard riding will kick your ass if you are not hydrated, again experience but we all know that. The hardest thing is to decide when to do it again. Have a blast. 😢

I ran my first HS in May. It was a freakish experience. It was 95 degrees and humid. The event organizer had my group (Vet-C) line-up and then we sat in the sun and baked for 45 minutes while they dicked around. 😢 By the time we took off we were all cooked from the sun and heat. It was 10 miles per lap and it was all rutted-out by the time my class ran. People were smashing into trees and each other all over the place. 😢 I finished but I won't run that one again. 😢 I'd rather go ice riding with deathwings!

Do you get airsick? If so don't eat a big meal before the race. The crew on the chopper really will not appreciate it if you do. And whatever you do, don't eat chili! Scares those paramedics to death, they think you're throwing up blood!

You're not the squirrel, you're the nut! Now stop this nonsence and tell me if what looks likes a skid plate on my stock '04 400s is really a skid plate. This is my 2nd. question of many to come by the way... It's definitely a pc. of anodized aluminmum (or so it appears) mounted between the 2 frame members under the motor. I haven't looked for drz400s reviews for the 2004 model yet so I don't know if this possible skid plate is a new stock feature. There are also some lame looking plastic type "guards", you might call them, trying to protect the lower outside corners of the motor. Does a "real" skid plate replace the bottom and corner items with one pc. of metal???

Thanks... drewoj@yahoo.com 😢

What he said. It's a skid plate, but not a very manly one. Take it and the plastic pieces off and get a real skid plate that gives better coverage.

People were smashing into trees and each other all over the place. I finished but I won't run that one again. I'd rather go ice riding with deathwings!

Thanks for the words of encouragement 😢😢