Sign in to follow this  

2005 vs 2003

For the people who sold their 2003 yzfs and bought 2005 😢

Is there a huge difference in speed. 😢

Is it worth the new one or should i keep my 2003. 😢

I have a 2005 and my buddy has a 2003 - personally, I'd wait until another major change such as the frame. Don't get me wrong, the suspension is better but is it that much better? Not sure- that kind of depends on your wallet. Motor differences? I can't really say because he has the 262cc kit in his 03 and it kicks xss over my 05. 😢

Hey Jho, where did your buddy get the 262 kit? Was it a pain in the @ss? 😢

I believe he has the Thumper Racing kit. The one thing I know for sure is that he wanted the kit the does NOT raise the compression (he's had it on the bike for over a year). He was concerned about hindering the easy starting capabilities and the increased heat since we are enduro riders (he has not experienced either issue BTW). Having read many posts here about the increased compression 262cc kits, I don't think either issue is really an issue. It was very easy to install - no different than a top end job. It started fairly easily right after the upgrade but was a little picky at first. After it broke in, however, it was, and still is, perfect. I will probably opt for the Eric Gorr kit once I get a few more months on this piston.

I put the high compression 262 kit and a set of hotcams on both of our 04 yz250f's.

They do produce more heat, and wont allow for long periods of idling. But they dont boil over the second you stop. It does take a minute or so. They dont run any hotter while moving, and we run the snot out of them.

The 262 is the maximum bore size available that is allowed by the ama, so if you race it's the biggest you can go.

I have a 2005 and my buddy has a 2003 - personally, I'd wait until another major change such as the frame. Don't get me wrong, the suspension is better but is it that much better? Not sure- that kind of depends on your wallet. Motor differences? I can't really say because he has the 262cc kit in his 03 and it kicks xss over my 05. 😢

I can't wait for the 2006s...if they've got the aluminum frame, I'm all there.....will be trading in the 2003 for the 2006...