Sign in to follow this  

2005 Suzuki DRZ 400SM

www.suzuki.com

I am going to save myself a couple years on my life and $$ on my insurance when i buy this bike. I own a 2004 Gixxer 750 and i seem to hit 140mph - 160mph everytime i ride it. I have a bad driving record and cant afford anything. Plus my parents are begging me to get rid of it. SO i am gonna rock this Badd ass bike on all these sick back roads i know and stunt the hell out of it and thats the end of it. Its the best all around purchase on 2 wheels u can make!!

DO you guys think u can crusie 70mph for like 30 minutes no problem on the motor?? Of course i can change the gearing and if i do rock around 70mph for a steady while seem to be bad for some reason. Please correct me if Im wrong 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

I don't see why not. I do that on my drzs with no problems.

Nope, anything over 45 MPH will grenade the motor.

Wheelies are not possible on this bike either, not sure who told you otherwise.

Bike sucks in the twisties also. And is not much good in the dirt...

MW

He is being a smart ass. This bike will crush everything!

I was just wondering about holding a steady 70 mph on the highway for awhile be a concern. Its seems not.

Thanks Guys!!

hahaha

DO you feel the DRZ 400 is underpowered? If so since the SM DRZ 400 is heavier and they did not one change to the motor will it be a dog?? 😢

If its anything like my boys CRF 450 then thats plenty.

Thanks for the help 😢

It wont be anything like a CRF stock. But you can improve it quickly and the effects are wonderful.

Get an FCR, 3x3mod + rejet, Exhaust, Higher Comp Gasket, Cams, and BigBore it. Then it will haul ass.

The 3x3 + FCR and exhaust are pretty good mods by themselves. It does much better with just these couple things alone. You can get a Dynojet kit if your trying to save a bit of money on the carb but an FCR is so much better. 😢

my .02

I finally got my bike running.

It was an 02 completely stock bike that I replaced the carb on, with an FCR naturally, and an M4 full system (loud but it rocks).

I was having all sorts of moments trying to get it installed and running right...I had the PAS all the way in, had a 162 Main jet instead of the 155 that is now in there, and I received the wrong adjustable fuel screw for that carb. (fixed with a Scott's unit).

Anyway, before any work was done, the bike would wheelie 3rd gear with clutch.

Now it will do it from lower midrange without, and will wheelie all the way up in 4th!!! Woohoo! Sitting OR standing. OF course, standing is always easier, and now even more so with the BRP clamp and Henry fatbars installed.

I even went to Carnegie with the wife, and the bike has Zero hesitation whatsoever. I also recieved a one-off insert for my pipe from the fellas at M4, and it took the bite out of the hugely loud exhaust. My wife now tells be that the bike is not as loud as my CRF, so I should be good to go from now on. By the way, all of the above wheelies were with stock gearing, and the exhaust insert in place. The only thing left for me to do, would be a 38 pilot (which I do not have) and my brakes for my 17s.

I even hit the MX track, with the original trailwings, and held my own. In fact, one lap I land on the start finish jump with about 6-8 guys sitting watching, and as I went by, the all pulled out. I fully expect to have a bunch of bikes passing me, but that was not to be. I managed to gap them. -I am sure that they figured I would be easy prey with mirrors, turnsignals, headlight, license plate and "street tires"...

So no matter what Suzuki has to do to get it to pass EPA, it can be fixed for under a grand, depending on the exhaust that you go with. (Stock simply will not do, especially with the S)

Anyway, happy days until I get 17s mounted up. Then it should be off the hook.

-MW

thanks for the info guys!. I really am gonna buy this SM and hope it a aweosem bike.

whats a FCR and a PAS?

Thew bore kit do i have ro replace the cyclinder or head. I saw failcon made a 450 cc bore kit!

FCR is the better carb from the dirt only E model.

Good upgrade for the stock mikuni. PAS is the pilot air screw.

Millennium Technologies makes a 440 kit that seems the best bang

for the buck from what Ive read.

www.mt-llc.com/index_home.shtml

Good quick mods for performance would be the dynojet kit

and the airbox mod. Then full exhaust & maybe hot cams.

You can skip the dynojet & just go for the Keihin FCR if you

want to go right for the best carb.

Good stuff here.

www.drz.info

70+ on the freeway is fine, I have 21000 miles on my 03, mostly street.

The FCR is Keihin's flatslide carburetor. It is missing from ALL the new DRZs from what I hear in order to be emissions compliant. I know that the 03 bikes and earlier, and probably the 04s as well have them on the E and K models, thus the reason that they are Red sticker in CA. The standard carb on the street legal bikes has always been the 36mm Mikuni BSR carb. It is now standard on all the new DRZ line, including the SM.

The biggest performance improvements that you can make to the bike, while keeping stock reliability, is the carb (FCR) and a full exhaust system.

The PAS is pilot air screw on the the FCR, I thought that it was a jet, so checked it, and then turned it all the way in when it was supposed to be between 5/8 and 3/4 turns out. Hence my bike was running very oddly, and not idling.

Now the bike runs like my CRF, only slower and much heavier...

Good one on ya if you can wait for the SM. It would be really nice to have the USD forks, and possibly the updated swingarm, however I have no complaints on going the used route and spending lots of money. -I am now at the price for the SM with the money that I have put into this bike. But I also must add that I have many of the must have items as well.

Tailight (LED) on order, Cyclops headlight on order,

Have the IMS tank

Exhaust system (M4)

Carb

footpegs

17" excels with Talon hubs & HD spokes

BRP triple clamp with Renthal fatbar (used from CRF)

handguards (already had)

CF skidplate

and more, that I am sure I am forgetting.

Watch your wallet!!

MW

That is good news for DRZ fans. CA sucks.

At least we have a workaround in the form of upgrades...

MW

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the 3X3 air box mod and some other goodies. I really hope this bike has some balls on it. 😢

Again thanks for your reply's

Richie

You can get dead just as quick at 70 on a DRZ. Sounds like this bike won't be enough for you. If you are really willing to slow down that's good but it just doesn't sound like it by wanting to mod the crap out of a DRZ. Might as well keep what you have and scale back the 140 mph passes.

I agree with YZF rooster, doesn't sound like you want to slow down as much as you want to get rid of that huge insurance payment. If you hit a tree at 70, will it feel any different than 140? My guess is probably not but then again, they also say the electric chair doesn't hurt but no one has yet to test it and live to talk about it. As far as the bike doing 70, I run mine atleast that probably 90% of the time I am on it which has been 5300 miles since June of this year. The motor will handle the speeds fine. I ran mine this morning on my way to meet up with a friend at 104 according to the speedometer for about 20 miles straight on I-75 and it never showed any weakness. Not trying to tell you what to spend your money on but unless you are truly wanting to slow it down, just keep what you have. You will be a whole lot happier with it. By the way, this is just my $0.02. Whatever you decide, be safe.