Sign in to follow this  

Hawaii Big Island Stainback riding area

Hello, I will soon be relocating to the big island (Laupahoehoe area). I have heard about a riding area off of the Stainback road. The last time I was on the island I went to check it out and I found it but there were no riders there ( I do not have a bike on the island ) so I did not get any idea what it was like. I ride a KDX 200 and have just started to ride my crf250X but it has problems. My wife rides a TTR125L and My son ride a KTM miniadventure 50. I do some enduros, wife and kid just have fun. So I wanted to know if the stainback area is someplace that the wife and kid could ride. Everything I have heard about Big Island riding is that the land is very rough and the riders are very fast. This may be too difficult and dangerous for my wife and kid ( he is six years old ). I also talked to a guy that said that the trail are very blind and that there is riding in both direction and mostly quads going fast. If anyone has ever riden there or knows anything about this area or other riding areas on the Big Island please let me know.

Thanks.

Ther are a few guys on this site from Ha. "Torturechambers", and "Hawaii rider" are two that come to mind. T.C., You awake??

I was just there and it looked like one big lava field to me. I think Oahu is the good riding island. I saw 1 motorcycle when I was there.

Old Post ...

I would not recommend that riding area for your family. It is very rough. I'm an experienced rider and can ride there if I "have to", but wouldn't go there to have fun. Try the Mauna Kea R1 and R10 roads. You could even go Keanakolu/Mana Road (fire trail type riding), but you wouldn't be legal there unless you had plates and drivers licenses. (Just don't get caught.)