Keeping stainless beautiful?

Hey,

I put on a full Muzzy system back in June. I love it, but after going from silver to blue/purple at the head area to a gold color everywhere else, I've noticed small rust "dots" on it, just where the headpipe bends by the water pump and also by the shock area. What can I use to reverse this, and keep it from happening? I like the colors, ? but don't want the pipe to rust away. I was thinking along the lines of never dull, or brasso, but dont want to eat the metal. Brasso seems especially harsh.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try the never dull or the Mothers. yeah, its a dirt bike and gets ridden hard, but it gets washed after every ride and goes in the garage "sparkly clean". I was more concerned about preventing the rust on the pipe than preserving the looks (color) of it. ?

I asked this same question a while ago. Burned said to use WD-40 and brillo type sponge on it. I did this and it cleaned up very well. I had a couple of really tough spots to get off (one where my glove fell on it while hot, leaving a nasty burn mark) and I used an extremely fine steel wool with the WD-40. It really came out nice, all of the spots are gone and it did not lose much color.

I wiped it down really well as it was pointed out that the steel wool residual will cause rusting if left behind. Re-installed it, wiped it with a little rubbing alcohol / rag afterwards and it looks hot. Its been about two months now and the finish still looks like new.

This is achieved mostly by acid (nitric I believe), some use chelating agents but that is nasty crap.

I used to work in stainless steel melt shop and I remember my collagues from cold rolling mill were talking about mix with nitric and phosphorous acid. They called that process "pickling", "peittaus" in Finnish.