Sign in to follow this  

Ran out of free sag before setting race sag...

Okay, I'm confused. I'm new to the whole suspension game. I have an '04 WR450. I weigh 210 lbs without gear. So I went to the "Race Tech" calculator to see what springs I needed and it told me I needed a 5.4 in the rear and the fronts were fine. So I ordered the 5.4 and put it on. I went to set the race sag at 95mm but before I got past 120mm I ran out of free sag. 😢 What's wrong, because I'm pretty sure that's not right. 😢 I want to go riding this weekend but I need to have it right. I have a friend that said I might not get any free sag because it is a new spring, but I want more opinions.

Make sure your spring is really a 5.4.It should a some numbers on it.Usually the last two numbers should be 54.Sounds like something is not right to be topping out with only 120mm of sag. 😢

Again, reason to NOT go by "spring calculators"...you could have asked here and someone would have gotten it right. TT is a greatplace for info! Shocdoc probably would have told you what ya needed before anyone... 😢

Anyway, at 210lbs, you would probably need a minimum of one size stiffer than stock, and maybe even two sizes. I.E., if stock is a 5.5 then you would need a 5.7 most likely.

Another thing is, start by trying to set your stock spring first. If you run out of static sag before you have race sag set, you would have known you needed a stiffer spring. And vice versa, if you had too much static sag after getting the correct race sag then you would need to go softer on the spring rate...your stock rate is easily found in the manual or online...

For instance my CRF450 came with a 5.5 rated spring...Race Tech calculator told me I should keep the stock spring at 245lbs!!! There is NO way in hell I could get free/static sag proportions correct with that spring! I needed a 5.9 to get it right. NOW, I have lost weight (50lbs) and I am going to a "true" 5.7 spring. Anyway...sorry to vent... 😢 :cry:

What do you consider "running out of free sag" at 120 mm race sag? Has it gone to zero at that point?

I assumed he was tightening the most likely too soft spring to get to 120mm race sag, and the bike was topped out with no free sag at all before he was able to get there?

What do you consider "running out of free sag" at 120 mm race sag? Has it gone to zero at that point?

I assumed he was tightening the most likely too soft spring to get to 120mm race sag, and the bike was topped out with no free sag at all before he was able to get there?

EXACTLY!!!

So with this in mind, what spring rate do I need? Once again, I'm new at this suspension thing.

That's pretty far off. I don't know about springs on WR's, but I'd say you need at least a couple of sizes more stiff than what you have. What spring did you have before the 5.4 and what was your static/race sag?

EXACTLY!!!

So with this in mind, what spring rate do I need? Once again, I'm new at this suspension thing.

Like skipn8r said, did you start with a stock spring before changing to the 5.4?

At 210lbs, you most likely should be going to a STIFFER spring than stock. If you had a 5.6 stock, I would tell you to go to a 5.8....but you REALLY need to see what spring you had before the new one, and see if your sag was able to be set with it to know for sure.

For 120mm of race sag, you should use a spring that gets you about 30mm-35mm MAXIMUM, of static sag, this will leave you enough adjustment that if you want to run less race sag, say 100mm, you cn still have proper static sag.

Stock is 5.2 on my 03 WR450. I don't think 5.4 is about right, thats what I have on mine.

I would try it. I run around 4" of sag and weigh 210.

Check for proper free length of spring.If it's long you'll get what you got. Scotty

Well, the free length as long as it fits shouldn't make a difference. A 250mm long 5.4 is the same as a 270mm long 5.4. I know the '04 YZF uses a 5.3 but can't remember off the top of my head if the WR uses the same. It probably has the 5.3 or 5.4 (because of weight the WR's are usually a little stiffer springs but lighter valving) so you probably stayed close to stock with the one you bought. Go to a 5.8 and you'll be a lot closer.

doc

PS....you are taking your first measurement on a stand right?

WHOOPS! Thanks for bailin' me out doc. Scotty

No worries Scotty, it happens to all of us sometimes 😢

doc

How much should a raptor "fall" when you sit on it??? rider sag???

My dirt bike, you messure how much it sags, its like 3 inches.

is it the same on four wheelers?

Okay, I'm confused. I'm new to the whole suspension game. I have an '04 WR450. I weigh 210 lbs without gear. So I went to the "Race Tech" calculator to see what springs I needed and it told me I needed a 5.4 in the rear and the fronts were fine. So I ordered the 5.4 and put it on. I went to set the race sag at 95mm but before I got past 120mm I ran out of free sag. :banghead: What's wrong, because I'm pretty sure that's not right. :cheers: I want to go riding this weekend but I need to have it right. I have a friend that said I might not get any free sag because it is a new spring, but I want more opinions.

I put the info into Race Tech's calculator and got .48 front and 5.6 rear. MXtech gave me .49 and 5.7 rear. Note that MX Tech is with riding gear on so I added 25 lbs.

At your weight 5.4 kg should be correct but if you find the 5.4 too soft (2006 WR comes with a 5.3), I might be interested in buying it from you. I am 160 without gear on and find the stock 5.3 a tad too soft. But it may not be a true 5.3.

thing is , if the spring is a 5.4 and he gets 120mm with no free sag , a 5.7 wont get him close, so either the spring isnt a 5.4(unlikely) or the measurement system is wrong, thats possible.

So please go out and remeasure the sag and free sag, bike up on stand for initial measurement, do not try to top it out by lifting it.measure vertically between 2 points.

If you notice mog, this discussion was back in 2004 and someone just brought it back asking about 4 wheeler sag??

If I remember right I think he got it sorted back then. Took me a few minutes before I realized too:bonk: lol

doc