Sub-Tanks for CRF450

OK, courtesy of ShawnMC, he sent me a setup. Very trick looking Bimba stainless tanks and lines, ? :cry: adjustable valve, rubber sleeves to mount with. All I have to do is take of my fork caps for drilling and tapping.

I can't wait to try these things out, I wonder what oil level some of you with tanks are starting with. Considering I run 400cc now, I was thinking of dropping 425cc in there and working from there....

p.s.-shawnmc said he was currently running 400cc but I think I am going to require more since I already have that in there and need more bottoming control...

p.s.-shawnmc said he was currently running 400cc but I think I am going to require more since I already have that in there and need more bottoming control...

...Cough(fat)Cough...

?

Ahahahah....I WAS a year ago, 245lbs nekkid. ?

But I have since lost 50lbs, dropped my main fork spring from a .50 to a .48, dropped the ICS spring from stock 2.1 to a 1.6, my tuner went back to a midvalve setup instead of a check plate, and lowered the oil level from 420cc to 400cc. Now it works again but on certain hits it can use the travel up a bit too quick. Adding oil makes it too harsh in the midrange travel. I am not willing to give the initial action up like that, so I am trying the tanks.

I am at that speed where I have to try and split the difference...JUST fast enough to be a danger to myself, but slow enough to need initial plushness still... ? :cry:

Well...when I get back to riding again in december that is...damn broken femur, wrist, ribs, shoulder, and lung...what else can go wrong??????? ?

hey rap,

I have enzo taks on my 04' I was running 500cc ..That is what mxtech put in them. I just had my oil done from Dicksracing here in sacramento and he put in 345cc? Not sure how it will work it will probably be soft but enzo says no matter what you run the forks will not bottom out. They also said that the tanks are not needed on these forks and they dont do much. I would bring the screws out with you and run with the tanks then moto without them, im curious to hear what you think of them. I will do the same tomorrow when I go ride. They make a blue air cap that when you take the tanks off you just screw them on and u can release air with a simple button on them.

norcal_hoss....my valves at the cap, have an adjustable set screw to control airflow. I think I can just effectively turn them "off" ...closed... and take the bottles out of the loop.

shawnmc, can I do this?

Anyway, I am going to be installing these tomorrow, my pipe won't be in till next week (Ron, hopefully?) so I will get to test them a bit next weekend a bit, although hard moto I won't be doing just yet. Waiting on clearance from the doc about my leg which is a month away yet. ?

I had Enzo's on my YZF prior to my CRF, and it helped tremendously. BUT, I have not found the need for them with my Enzo suspension work on my '04 CRF. I think the dual-chamber forks work just as good without the sub tanks (along with proper valving). I love the '04 forks and think they work BETTER than my Enzo valved and sub-tanked YZF crap-yaba's. Just my $.02. ?

Oh, I will get pics up later tonight! I am taking the wife unit out tonight for a "date", leaving the 2 week old daughter and 5 year old son with the grandparents...

So after a good steak/seafood dinner and a few rum-n-diet cokes at the nicest restaurant in this town, I will get them posted. ?

TimFuzzyNuts...I understand what you are saying, I am hoping in my case it will provide the mix I am looking for..I had them stiff enough before (too stiff now) losing the weight, and ow I can't find a balance it seems between the initial plush and bottoming resistance for when I push the bike into deep sand whoops and big hits.

I think the tanks are going to finish off an otherwise great set of forks! ?

p.s.-had to stick the nick slam, courtesy of davbrucas!

I have subtanks on my CRF, I run 385 cc Kayaba 01 oil and it works great, ofcourse when I make a hard landing it sometimes happen bottom but not very often.

here is a picture of my set up, homemade all the way, I don't like the idea of drilling in the top caps, so I have used the original holes for the fittings.

subtanks.jpg

I wonder what the volume is....? I can measure, but I bet the specs are online somewhere, shawnmc prob knows too ?

They seem to have as much volume though as the TooTech versions, that one has a small single tank....

They are definitely trick looking, especially in person.

I am going to start with an additional 25cc of oil in the fork and go from there. I would think at minimum, the fork should be able to run the original maximum oil level easily considering the extra air volume...and still be plusher than before....

• 2 weeks later...
What does Shawn charge for his tanks?

Do they have adjustability like the Enzo tanks?

ben

1. Yes, they have an adjustable valve....

2. PM him for a price...I don't think he makes much off of them...PM me if you want to know what I paid...

Ride review soon....I can't get them on till next week when I have access to the machine shop so I can use a good drill press for the cap...

Ive been using Shawn's sub tank set up and I can tell it works awesome. I had my suspension done by Enzo when I had my 426. It sucked. It wouldnt bottom if you jumped the snake river...but it so was non compliant and square edged stuff would loosen fillings. Shawn replaced my springs...changed the fluid to synthetic trans oil and installed the tanks. I ve never felt suspension soooo plush...

?