Sign in to follow this  

can anyone help me with Harley carb??

i posted this on a Harley forum.. but it looks pretty dead. Wondering if you guys knew of any better Harley forums.. or if you know the info first hand.

am helping a friend with his 100th anniversary Sportser. It was originally an 883. It now has the screaming eagle 1200cc kit.

He just brought it down from Colorado. It is a Harley Carb(not mikuni). Obviously it was running LEAN!! We changed the main from a 175 to a 185.

However, it still runs like crap down low. I finally got the pilot jet out. Do you have any recomendations on size?

Now there is where my problem arose!!! I pulled out the "holder" for the main jet so i could get to the pilot with my short screwdriver("holder" i am referring to is the brass piece that the main jet screws directly in to)

Well, when i did that... out fell a small piece of metal with a ridge(the needle goes right thru it). It is shorter on one side than the other.....

I don't know which way it goes back in!!!!

The way it looks like it should go(due to it being convex and end of holder is concave).... makes it stick up into the venturi a bit though. So, i am confused which way it goes!

Does anyone know where a microfiche is I can reference?? Or can they tell me the orientation?

I don;t want to put it back together to just tear it back down again. 50/50 chance ya know.

The piece you are talking about should only work one way. You should not be able to get the main back in with it in wrong. It will not screw in. It will protrude into the carb ventury. It should be the short end in first. A 42 should be fine on the slow and 175 should be a good place to start on the main. If it is running like crap, make sure the mixture screw has been exposed and adjusted. It is plugged from the factory. Looking at the bottom of the carb you will see a little metal plug. The mixture screw is under it. Drill a very small hole in it and screw a metal screw in the hole you drilled, then use pliers to pry the plug out. Counter clockwise will make it richer. 1 and a half should be your starting point. With it at operating temp. turn it in slow a 1/4 at a time until it stumbles, then back it out counting turns until it stumbles again, the middle of the two is where you want it. Let me know how you do. I work on these things all the time. If these do not fix it, we have another problem.

Well, when i did that... out fell a small piece of metal with a ridge(the needle goes right thru it). It is shorter on one side than the other.....

the end with the recess goes up.

fast nu, you need to use a 45 pilot and 180 main on a 1200 (assuming you've changed to the screaming eagle air cleaner and slip ons / aftermarket exhaust). the carb is a keihin and it used the same main jet as your honda.

did you drill out the cover for the air screw? if not you need to drill a hole in the plug and pull it our with an awl or screwdriver.

take a look at http://www.sportster.org/ for help. they are better than the yahoo sportster group.

I would only go 45 and 180 if the bike has perf. exhaust and cams. It is probably too much if all it is is punched to 1200.

go up 1 size on the pilot jet remove 1/2 inch from the the spring that controls your slide .