Sign in to follow this  

For fun?

Well I am looking to get an older trials bike for fun. I see alot of ty250's for sale on ebay and was wondering why there is so many of them? Also I am just looking for a bike to mess around on and climb around on. Riding on my driveway sounds pretty good to me when I cant make it out to my track. It seems that learning to balance the bike really slow speeds will help you in other riding diciplines any truth to that? I am mostly looking for something to have fun on and get better at mx. No I will not be ridin the trials bike at the mx track.

Trials riding will make you a better all-around rider. I attended a Trials schhol several years ago and learned things that helped me on the track and in the woods.

As for the TYs; there are a lot of them around. And they are decent bikes. Other than the Kawasaki KTs, the TYs are probably the best Jap trialer out there.

As far as the older bikes go, the Euro-brands were better for competition (Bultaco, Montesa, Ossa) but they were/are fragile. The TY will take a beating and keep coming back for more. 😢

Take a beating thats exactly what it needs to do also. I already broke a frame on my play bike (xr100) but I wouldnt treat a trials bike like that. I know hat they are meant to do and I wont probably do as much damage as they do in a trials event.

How big are you? The TY175 was by far the better bike,but if you are much bigger than average you might swamp it.TY250s are hard to sell,maybe why you see them advertised - TY175s are never advertised,soon as someone even mentions they might sell their phone will never stop ringing.

A TY175 could handle you then,I got mine off a cop who was 6ft and solid with no fat.I don't know where you are from,but suspect the US seeing as you give no location,did you get the 175 over there? They were a popular schoolboy bike in the UK and in NZ were very popular as well.They are very sort after now,as they are possibly the best bike to use in twin shock trials apart from an early Fantic.I went from a 79 Bultaco ST 350 to the TY175,I thought it was an improvment,could pull the same gears,but was lighter and more nimble with better brakes,but not the suspn of the Bully.