Sign in to follow this  

Which is the better deal?

Ok I'm looking at buying one of these two bikes, need some help. This is the first bike;

1st '02 DRZ400

Brand new plastic and graphics (were not needed in my opinion cause old stuff is still very nice)

Full Yosh Exhaust/Case Savers/Hand Guards/New Mich Tires/New Chain&sprokets 14-49 (geared for off-road)/upgraded clutch&brake levers/longer Shifter fork/Race Tech front suspension with gold valves for 200lbs rider/Pro Taper bar and triple/skid plate/Moose gripper seat and soft foam/Rad guards...a few more little things 3450$

2nd '01 DRZ400

Bike has approx 500 miles on it/ New D606 Tires balances/Street legal kit/Taller gears for street use 15-41/FMF Q slip on/Larger bars (can't remember brand)/Hand guards/Skid plate....and some other stuff I cant think of, 3300$

Here's my dilema, I am planning on ridding this 35 Street/65 Dirt. So the bike has to have the street kit which bike one does not have. I also need a heavier suspension setup which bike 2 does not have. Are there some serious improvements on the '02 that really make it stand out from the '01? Which of these 2 bikes is the better deal? I am also concerned about the noise on the Yosh exhaust a little bit!

Are these E, K or S models? Makes a big difference. If the '01 is an S then don't get it because the front suspension was way different. Making an E street legal isn't very expensive, just depends on your state as to whether or not you can tag one.

My bad, both of these bikes are the E- Models. At this point the big decision is what's going to be more expensive to do. On one bike I need to buy the stuff to make it street legal (Tail/Brake light/Mirror/Horn/TrailTech Computer) one the other bike I will need to put in heavier springs. At this point I think doing the springs is the cheaper way to go, but the other bike is a year newer and has a few more goodies.

I'd buy the 02 and do the street legal stuff myself. You will be able to A. Get to know the bike by working on it a little., B. Choose parts YOU want (Baja Designs rear LED light for example)., and C. One year newer for $150.

My opinion, but if it's not overly used/abused, that's the way I'd go. Either way, Welcome. 😢 :cry:

I was hoping to get a little more response, does anyone else have some opinion on this?

If they are both in comparable shape I'd get the '02. If the exhaust is really a concern you could always sell it and buy someone's stock unit. Making it street legal is easy and fairly cheap. The suspension work that was done is alot more expensive than dual sporting one. And it has alot more goodies on it.