Sign in to follow this  

Stonyford in December

Can anyone tell me what the riding conditions are like at Stonyford in mid December? Tempreture? What about camping? Is it excessively cold at night?

I'm planning on driving from WA to ride with a buddy in SoCal starting December 17th. I figure I'll stop on the way through because it was awesome out there this summer despite the heat.

Camping will be cold but doaable. The Main camp area AKA Davis Flats(Fouts Springs) is about 1700 feet elevation.

Highs in the upper 60's, lows in the upper 30's.

From there it goes up and the snow level currently is about 5500 to 6000 feet. The upper trails will be snowed in but theres plenty to ride down below. Figure slick to snotty for the dirt conditions, consiering the amount of rain lately.

I concur with Cisco 😢 except it doesn't get as snotty as Foresthill 😢 Stony actually gets pretty tacky after the rains. Side note: If you have new tires

You will be able to ride up most of Trail 20 and 22. From past experience it gets pretty deep about halfway through. In Late December, Potato hill gets pretty deep. Some A rider always braves the 8 + inches and cuts a trail through it. You'd be surprised how well these bikes do in the snow. Double track is winterwonderland singletrack. I love it!!!!

Fryboy