Sign in to follow this  

running gas out of carb

I have always turned the gas petcock off and ran the motor until it quit. Now I am having second thoughts on this,does anybody have any insight on if this hurts the motor. 😢

Doing this does causes the motor to run lean for a short time-right and right before all the gas is ran out the motor is running really lean-right?😢

How come you do that? I turn off the gas for the trailer rides to keep gas from shaking out of the drain line, but I hadn't heard of emptying the bowl after every ride. The only time I drain the bowl is if the gas has been sitting for a couple of weeks, and I drain the tank and float bowl to put in fresh gas.

BTW, I doubt that running the bike dry hurts the engine. Damage from running lean is thermal, so a really brief lean condition shouldn't hurt anything. How long does it run with the petcock off anyway? 😢

it will run for probably around a minute.this is something i have always done -i think i picked it up from my father.the idea is to run the gas out of the carb so there is no setiment accumulation. 😢

I empty my float bowl after a weekend of riding - I do not like leaving U4 in the carb all week long - it will leave vapor sediment in the top of the carb but so will pump gas if it is left for extended periods of time.

WON'T HURT ANYTHING TO RUN IT DRY AND IS ACCUALLY RECOMMENDED IF STORING FOR A PERIOD OF TIME LONGER THAN A MONTH. PILOT JETS HAVE MINUTE HOLES IN THEM THAT CAN BE EASY TO CLOG WITH SEDIMENT, BUT YOU COULD JUST DRAIN THE FLOAT BOWL TOO. I HAVE FOUND THAT THE VAPORS FROM ULTIMATE 4 MAKES THE BIKE HARD TO START IF THE FUEL IN THE FLOAT BOWL IS A COUPLE DAYS OLD, I USUALLY HAVE TO DRAIN IT.

CHEERS