Sign in to follow this  

So Tranny Experts, Will the new 450x wide ratio tranny... CHROMECRF

So Tranny Experts, Will the new 450x wide ratio tranny fit into my '03? Or should I go baja designs? Hey chrome crf, do you have the auxilary oil tank? How did you feel about drilling into your cases? For the oil lines?

No one knows if it will or not as the bike has not been made available yet. No one has even been able to confirm what the gear ratios are in the X. Some earlier information that was posted on the net had the ratios being exactly the same as my 02 CRF. Probably in about two months the mags will get one and then we'll know. DirtRider has an X on their cover this month but it's just a foofoo article to sell mags. They didn't even get to ride it.

Me, I'm waitin to find out what the X has. Do the math on the baja designs kit. There's a pretty good size gap in the ratios between 2nd and 3rd. Those are the two gears I use the most so I think that gap might annoy me.

I would be willing to bet that the 450X tranny will have a lower first gear and taller 5th gear than the 450R. I seriously doubt that it will have a 5th gear as tall as the baja designs kit or the cases would need to be machined for clearance. I absolutely love my BD tranny. The 5th gear is like an overdrive 😢

The 5th gear is like an overdrive 😢

it is an overdrive at .75:1 ratio a pretty big one 😢

I absolutely love my BD tranny. 😢

Do you notice the 2nd to 3rd gap? In the terrain you ride how much time do you spend in 2 and 3 versus the other gears?

If the X trans won't fit in a O2 then the only option is the BD kit.

I think that the Baja Designs tranny is great, also. I do not notice the gap between 2nd and 3rd at all. When I go to a motorcross track, I am in 2nd and 3rd quite a bit. If you are worried about it, you could leave 3rd alone and just change 4th and 5th. (Of course, then you will have gap between those gears.) Some one on this board just changed out 5th. (I do not remember who, but if I remember right, they said they had no problem with the bike pulling that big of a gap.) That would be another option.

Doug

What gap?

If you plot the ratios on a graph you will see the "gap" between 2 and 3.

Thanks guys. Its good to hear from people that have actually ridden with the kit. Sounds like its not really a factor. Thats good to know. I want to get a new MX'er and turn my 02 into a dual sporter.