Sign in to follow this  

Best sprocket tooth count?

So for one that wants to say use his/her DRZe for occasional commuting, but also stay serious for trail ridding. What would the best tooth count be front/rear combo? I will be mainly buying this bike for trail ridding but I also will be dual sporting it for use as a occasional commuter and it will be getting on the highway so I will need to hold 70mph (rarely though). The bike has the stock gearing I believe that or has 2 extra tooth count on the rear.

I run 14/47. I can pull 70-75 on the highway without feeling like it's (quite) maxed. It's great on the track and the trails. The only time the gearing has even seemed a little tall was once in a really slow technical, rock covered area. And I think anything other than a trials bike woulda felt too tall that day! I don't ride alot of high speed wide open trails, mostly MX and woods, and this setup works well for me.

I have the s model and it was geared way too high.I tried a few different combo's and settled for the 14 front and 49 rear. I can chug in the dirt and still hit decent road speeds for local commuting. 😢

I run 14/41 on my stock street rims & 14/47 for the dirt set.

14/41 is very close to the stock S 15/44, good for commuting

and not too bad @ freeway speeds.

A good compromise if you dont want to change often might be 14/44...?

Original on my s was 15/44. I went to 14/44 but it still sucked in the dirt. I went to the 14/49 after much hesitation and am extremely glad i did. I can grunt through the technical trails without stalling now 😢 and i can still maintain 110 km/h (68.25 mph) on the highway without the engine screaming. And i never have to change gearing again. And yes it worked with the stock brand new unstretched chain. 😢

Ive been running 14/47 but want to gear down a bit-- do you think I'll notice the difference if I put a 50 tooth rear on ?

Ive been running 14/47 but want to gear down a bit-- do you think I'll notice the difference if I put a 50 tooth rear on ?

Yes , you will notice a difference. I did this to mine and it works good , the only problem is the chain is almost not long enough, but it did fit.