Sign in to follow this  

01kx100/xr100 Conversion

Has anyone converted a KX100 to accept a XR100 engine? I have a hot little XR120 motor and a KX100 sitting in the garage. Is this something DMC or another builder could do?

Thanks!

Has anyone converted a KX100 to accept a XR100 engine? I have a hot little XR120 motor and a KX100 sitting in the garage. Is this something DMC or another builder could do?

Thanks!

I was going to attempt it, but with the perimeter frame it was going to be very time consuming. So I put the kx front end on the xr frame and beefed it up.

I had DMC do mine, it came out sano, but it was so much of a headache for Dave to do, that he sold the jig.

Its a difficult one due to the shock setup and low line of the frame at the tank seat junction area. Basically no where to put the carb without major reworking of frame. The early KX80/100 bikes are pretty difficult as well (We got KX100's since late 80's) If DMC and the Back Yard Builder gave up on them thats a big hint to look for a CR80/85 roller........... 😢

You guys are probably right. In looking at the KX frame a little closer, its going to be a major deal to get the XR engine/carb to fit.

Thanks for the info.

Its a difficult one due to the shock setup and low line of the frame at the tank seat junction area. Basically no where to put the carb without major reworking of frame. The early KX80/100 bikes are pretty difficult as well (We got KX100's since late 80's) If DMC and the Back Yard Builder gave up on them thats a big hint to look for a CR80/85 roller........... 😢

Here's a pic of mine. I hated to sell it. 😢

Note the aluminum tank and the XR400 oil cooler behind the front number plate.

kx1c.jpg

Here's a pic of my friend Matts bike. You can see how the carb would be a pain.

matt4.jpg

socalxr, those are some very nice examples! I'm just looking for something fun to do with the XR120 engine I have. Its a hot little motor sitting in an XR set up for short track. Unfortunately, I don't get out to the short track very often so I'm looking into some alternatives. Looks like the CR80/85 approach might be the most practical(!) option if I can't find someone with a jig willing to convert the KX at a reasonable price.