Sign in to follow this  

Semi Synthetic Oil

Trailriders, two of my friends have 400 EXC's. Great bikes no doubt as we are seniors and single track quite a bit. They are now running full synthetic oil and change oil and filters about the same as I do 300 or so miles with a filter change.

Why wouldn't semi-synthetic oil be as good, considering we are not racing. Both KTMs run engine ice or other motorcycle specific coolant. The highest speed you can use in the mountains is 3rd gear 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for power climbing. Very little no load types of WFO fire roading. In fact, the majority of use is 2nd and 3rd gear lugging.

I ran honda dino oil for 6 years in my KLX, semi-synthetic improved the shifting a lot. My bike is now hitting 7,000 trail miles. I don't see why they couldn't go to semi-synthetic oil too.

Semi-syn is actually what's recommended by the KTM USA service classes so I'm sure it's fine. That's all I've ever used in my RFS's.

Thanks for replying JEB, I remember you using it and I knew you raced your bikes. One friend claims KTM comes with, and recommends a full motorcycle synthetic oil only. I wanted to check here before making a recommendation to others with questions.

I'VE USED FULL SYNTHETIC IN MY KTM, MOTUL 4T 15/50WT, MY MANUAL SPECIFIED SHELL FULL SYNTHETIC, BUT SEMI WOULDN'T HURT ANYTHING, FULL SYNTHETIC JUST DOESN'T BREAK DOWN AS QUICK, AND OFFERS A HIGHER FILM STRENGTH, BUT FOR YOU TIGHT WOULDS APPLICATION I THINK IT SHOULD BE FINE. YOU JUST MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR OIL A LITTLE MORE FREQUENTLY THAT'S ALL.

CHEERS, AND KEEP RIDING. 😢

I'VE USED FULL SYNTHETIC IN MY KTM, MOTUL 4T 15/50WT, MY MANUAL SPECIFIED SHELL FULL SYNTHETIC, BUT SEMI WOULDN'T HURT ANYTHING, FULL SYNTHETIC JUST DOESN'T BREAK DOWN AS QUICK, AND OFFERS A HIGHER FILM STRENGTH, BUT FOR YOU TIGHT WOULDS APPLICATION I THINK IT SHOULD BE FINE. YOU JUST MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR OIL A LITTLE MORE FREQUENTLY THAT'S ALL.

I doubt that. Not even dino oil is likely to break down in the short change intervals most of us use for the RFS's so a semi-syn would last just as well as full syn, IMO.

Semi Syn MOTORCYCLE oil would be fine with the usage that you are giving it. FULL SYN is better but may not be nessesary for you. Straight petroleum oil is marginal and could break down faster . Needing extra oil changes.

KTM recommends FULL synthetic motorcycle oil. Motul or now Motorex. I have been using Maxima 100% Extra synthetic oil with excellant results. NEVER a clutch problem .

Cher'o,

Dwight

I don't want to get involved with some big oil debate but, I have been using full synth since just after break in. Is it better? Hell, I don't know. All I know is my bike runs great! I bought it new in 11/01 and have had it appart once to install the upgraded parts and replace the cam bearings even though they were not broken. 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

😢

Paul

I've used the Honda HP4 semi synthetic since my EXC was new and have had zero problems. Smooth shifting/clutching and no unusual amounts of metal on the magnet.