Sign in to follow this  

'00 S Forks / Upgrade or Replace

TLRick's post got me thinking and but I found myself digressing...

I too hate my forks and at 200#, I know I need at least to respring but am debating between:

- Upgrade current damping-rod forks with RaceTech springs and cartridge emulators

or

-Buy used RM or DRZ cartidge forks (which I assume I'll still need to respring for my weight)

I'm assuming the cost of buying the used forks with new springs will be more than the doing the Racetech upgrade on my current forks.

Will the ride be DRAMATICALLY better with new cartridge forks ???

Hi. I'm TLRick and my post prompted this post...I'm so proud that I am contributing...at least with lot's of questions. 😢

My question is along the same lines and I too am about or a little over 200 pounds but I am a novice rider with one dirt ride under my belt with next weekend being my second dirt ride. I am probably going to leave things as is and see how it goes but there is a yearning inside of me to have a fully adjustable suspension to play with. I am confused and feeling frustrated and on and off pondering selling my '01 and trying to find an '02 but that would take a lot of timing unless I want to put off dirt riding for a while. Besides, I really don't have the money to spare to sell my bike for say $3,000 and buy an '02 for $3,500. It would make more sense to just upgrade the shock/fork for $500 or buy a used one (If I can find one which so far, I can't) and put that on. Help me with my suspension whoa's please...put my mind at ease...Sounds like a song huh? 😢

There are a few guys out there who have done the RaceTech cartridge emulator upgrade. It would be great to have some feedback of performance vs. cost.

From a cost perspective, I'm reluctant to buy used forks as they will probably have to be rebuilt not to mention resprung for my 200# body.

If the performance is comparable and the RaceTech upgrade is cheaper, I'd rather fix what I have.

Any thoughts ?? 😢

Here are some forks that, based on other threads, should work well:

Forks on eBay

I suggest you check with the experts here to make sure they'll fit. I think they will, but I'm not sure.

Here are some forks that, based on other threads, should work well:

Forks on eBay

I suggest you check with the experts here to make sure they'll fit. I think they will, but I'm not sure.

96-98 RM forks were conventional, not inverted. Those forks are mislisted.

Those look like 89, not 98 RM forks. Buyer beware.

I sent the seller a question asking him about the above. I will keep you posted as to how he responds. 😢

I've got an '01 S that I bought used '03K forks for. There are racetech springs in them, and they are DRAMATICALLY better than the OEM forks. I figure I can go at least 10 miles an hour faster over about any terrain, and they just feel much more solid and controllable in turns. I would think that you could pick up a pair of used E or K forks (or late model S forks) for not too much more than you'd spend upgrading your current forks. Just my opinion, of course, but I don't think you'd go wrong just replacing the forks - might as well have the adjustability as well.

Okay, the seller of the forks on E-bay said that he was told it was a '98 but it could be a '89 and that they should fit any "Off Road Bike". He also said that he is not sure if they will fit the DRZ. I think I am going to pass on these

Glad this topic came up. I also have an 01S and weigh in just over 200#. I just picked up some brand new 04 forks off Ebay that I plan to swap out on my 01S. Will I need larger springs for the new forks? Also, what about the rear? Can I replace the spring or should I be looking at a new shock?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the forks run you?

I am sure that with your (And mine as well) weight, you will have to get re-sprung both front and back for optimum performance. This is just from me riding street bikes. Your local suspension shop will be able to do it for you. I know around here, I believe it costs about $200 for front and $250 for the back.

Let us know how much the forks went for.

$499 for the forks, brand new. I figure even if I don't use them I can always put them back on Ebay.

Anyone else have an opinion here? I still want to know if the rear shock needs to be replaced or if a new spring on it will do?

how much do you weigh?

the only difference in the shock is the lack of rebond adjuster on your shock.

the rebound adjuster is pretty critical for setting up suspension.

Anyone else have an opinion here? I still want to know if the rear shock needs to be replaced or if a new spring on it will do?

My opinion is that you are the guy who outbid me. 😢

Well that answers my questions then. Recommendations on a decent shock that won't break the bank? I weigh ~ 210#

Well that answers my questions then. Recommendations on a decent shock that won't break the bank? I weigh ~ 210#

any E/K shock or 02 and later S shock.

you need.48 fork springs and a 5.7 shock spring.

Ahh the beauty of auctions. Bads news is you could have won with $2.01 more. 😢

Not in a way. He jumped the bidding like crazy. I was at about $280 then it went thru the roof with like two bids ending at $499. I had/have no idea what a reasonable price was so didn't even try a rebid.

I still don't know if the winner got a good or bad deal, but I wasn't willing to play further.

Ahh the beauty of auctions. Bads news is you could have won with $2.01 more. 😢

Not in a way. He jumped the bidding like crazy. I was at about $280 then it went thru the roof with like two bids ending at $499. I had/have no idea what a reasonable price was so didn't even try a rebid.

I still don't know if the winner got a good or bad deal, but I wasn't willing to play further.

Well, you gotta figure brand new, ronayers.com sells the '02 fork assembly for $932 so if you compare that price, I would say it was a good deal. 😢