Sign in to follow this  

What is Best way to insure dirtbike against theft/house burning down?

What is Best way to insure dirtbike against theft/house burning down? What company should I use? What does it usually cost? Whats the catch?

If its not registered street legal I think it falls under home owners

or renters insurance. Make sure you have enough, looks like

you have some nice toys to protect.

my bike is tagged so I don't have it myself, however a friend of mine has a policy on his 4 wheeler through State Farm. He said it cost him about $300 a year and covers every thing but damage from riding, like hitting a tree. 😢 But if the tree falls and hits the rig your covered. If State Farm has it so should others. Look in to it.

Ray

What is Best way to insure dirtbike against theft/house burning down? What company should I use? What does it usually cost? Whats the catch?

I have a rider on my homeowners policy with a list of items added to each bike accompanied with photos of the items and the receipts on file at my insurance company (State Farm) so that they are insured for replacement value not what some plaid pant wearin' derelict "decides" my "used" bike is worth. But of course I am anal and an &%$#@! all at the same time. Now thats multitasking.

Steve

$300....Progressive (liability and comprehensive) for

04 KTM 125 SX

04 CRF450R

04 CRF250R

...Good deal if you ask me...

If its not registered street legal I think it falls under home owners

or renters insurance. Make sure you have enough, looks like

you have some nice toys to protect.

Motor vehicles don't fall under most home owners or renters policies!

I have my bikes insured with Progressive. Search for Insurance in the General forum. There are some great deals on insurance. Progressive works good for me.

Never assume anything is covered. Often the limitations for tools is $500, which is nothing! Similar low limits exist for guns too.

Reminds me that I need to take inventory and show my insurance agent. It's better to pay a little more or find a company that covers everything.

IMHO, the list of exclusions (not covered) is huge.

Check with your home owners insurance. We called and our policy covers the bikes. 😢

Liability/Comp is NOT theft/fire. 😢

Umm....yes it is.

From the Progressive website-

Comprehensive Coverage

Pays for loss or damage to your covered vehicle caused by any event other than collision. This includes damages due to events such as fire, theft, windstorm, flood, and vandalism. We will also pay transportation and loss of use expenses under this coverage if your motor vehicle is stolen.

I pay $176 for both my bikes through Progresive, full coverage.

Check with your home owners insurance. We called and our policy covers the bikes. 😢

Ok, I have some concerns with this comment. I happen to be an Insurance Agent and know for a fact that our homeowners insurance DOES NOT cover dirt bikes. I am not saying that yours doesn't, but you may have spoken to someone that does not understand the policy completely. I would read your policy very carefully! Many people make this same mistake only to find out that the part of the policy that speaks of "motorized vehicles used solely for the purpose of maintaining the property" does not cover dirtbikes. It is designed for the riding lawn mower and such. I currentlyl have my 04yz250f and my son's 02 KX65 insured for Liability, Comprehensive and COLLISION and the total cost per year is $288.

For the person that stated that comprehensive is not fire/theft, you are correct! Comprehensive gives you much more coverage than just fire/theft coverage.

I have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy, plus I have special provisions spelled out in the contract covering my guns, bikes and certain irreplacable items in the house.

My 426 and my brothers bicycle was stolen 2 years ago and I found out the hard way, homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover

the 426, but my brother got a check for $700 for his bicycle! Ridiculous!

And then 9 months later I got a call.

The NYPD found it in an alley in Harlem.

I guess the _____ didn't have anywhere to hide it!

😢