Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 wont idle when cold?

My CRF230 won't idle when it's cold but after warming it up it's just fine. Is this a big deal ? 😢

If you ever re-jet the carb and perform the Full-power mods, it will idle a little better even when cold. The carbs are jetted a tad on the lean side for emission requirements mandated by the Feds.

Ya I also had the problem of not idling in the cold, so sometimes I just take off after I try to warm it up and it idles fine after I ride it for a while.

The only dirtbikes I know that idle when cold are the Yamahas. Their choke turns up the idle speed automatically.

My XR400 will idle sometimes when its cold, and all the time if I up the idle.

The CRF230 never does, even uncorked.

Yup. The trick I found instead of sitting there on the bike revving it, is before starting, turn in the idle screw 1 full turn. Put the choke on all the way, crank it, if it runs sweet, just pop the lever halfway. Let it run for about half a minute, pop the choke down all the way, drop the idle and take off...

THANK YOU!  I've been going nuts trying to get mine to idle when cold.  Good to know it's not me.  Interestingly, I bought 2 CRF230F's and one of them idles just fine when cold without messing with idle screw.  Whoever I bought if from must have a trick...

1 hour ago, adnohguy said:

15 year old thread ......

15 year old bike.  So I guess it's relevant!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheMotoDad said:

Whoever I bought if from must have a trick...

Doing the "uncork" is and improvement, including the idle issue.  But yes, they run cold.