Sign in to follow this  

Question regarding cam chain position relative to TDC

While I was doing my valve adjustment, I may have turned the crank an odd number of revolutions. if I put the cam chain on in this position would there be any adverse effect? since the cam turn one revolution for each crank revolution. I don't know that it would matter but I figured I woud ask.

Thanks,

Scott

I think that I understand what you are asking. I just got through with new piston,rings and intake valves in my X. If the timing mark on the primary drive is lined up the piston will be at tdc. Then the important thing is to align the cam marks and have the intake lobes pointing to the upper rear. This is where you could be 180 deg off. I hope this is what you are asking.

The cam turns 1 time for every 2 revolutions of the crank. Just pull the plug out of the right side case and line up the timing marks. Then put in your cam with the 2 timing marks lined up with the top surface of the head. BE SURE THE 2 INTAKE LOBES ARE FACING THE REAR OF THE BIKE WITH THE MARKS LINED UP ON THE CAM.

Hope that helps!

I think I was over thinking it. The cams were oriented correclty and the timimg marks were lined up.

I think what throws me off is that on my GSXR I have to measure the intake clearance, rotate the crank one revolution and then measure the exhaust side.

I rode the bike and it felt fine.

The Intake clearance was so tight I could barely get an .002 in under it.