Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starts=Valve Adjustment ?

Hey guys...I read everywhere that a hard to start YZ250F most likely has valve clearnace issues. My bike starts in 2-3 kicks when warm and 3-6 kicks when cold for a day or so. When I leave it more than a few days I have to kick the crap out of it. Is this still a valve clearance issue ? tia...

No doubt check the valves but what jetting changes did you make the Yoshi? Jetting the low end is extremely beneficail to starting these.

I did none of the mods, I bought it all ready to go. It was owned by a racer who got a factory ride just before the season began so it was all dialed in before I sat on it. All the valve components were replaced last off season too so that is why I was suspicious that there may have been some wear in that area.

the easiest method for cold starting them is to turn on the gas, pull the choke, and blip the throttle 3 full twists. Then kick it fast. Make sure the idle is set high enough, it should be set to 1900 rpm. It sounds fast to the ear.

But check the valves. It's something you should be able to do without wincing. 😢

YY4U, my '03 does the same thing, and did since new. The valves are in spec, and the bike runs great. I noticed once when I had the subframe off and was looking down the carb, the accelerator pump didn't work until I opened the throttle ten or more times. Apparently, it loses its prime or something similar after it sits awhile. After it gets going again, it gives a nice squirt the first time I open the throttle, if I ride it every day. Since I found this out, I know to open the throttle about fifteen times before I start kicking, if the bike's been sitting for a week. I went from maybe twenty kicks to four or five, and one or two for the rest of the day. (If I ride it the next day, three twists is enough)

Treehopper,

That actually makes a lot of sense, I make try that next time. I will of course be checking the clearances but that is another possibility for me to keep in mind.