Sign in to follow this  

Braking wave oversized or EBC oversized?

Anybody have anyexperience (good or bad) with either of these brake rotors. The EBC is a 100 bucks cheaper but the braking wave looks trick. I dont want to buy the braking wave and it turn out to be junk.

Thanks

i haven't used the new wave rotors but have had experience with the old oversize braking rotor. these rotors are of very high quality. the constuction looks like genuine honda and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the oem contractor for the genuine honda rotors. they even have the honing marks like the genuine.

the ebc cost less because they are cheaply made. they are stamped out and not really finished. they dont have any of the honing cross hatch marks. i believe they were 260mm. the feel and stopping power were great. the modulation was completely linear as you applied more pressure to the front brake lever.

for my '05 450, i will be getting the ebc because i prefer a stock look (no bling for me). if braking has a stock style (non-wave) rotor, i would have gone with braking.

I been running the Braking wave rotor on my '03 for over a year and love it. I was skeptical about the strength and life span of the rotor but it has lived up to all my expectations. The feel of the brake is excellent, I dont think I could go back to stock rotors now. 😢

I use the EBC oversize rotor on my bike and it works great. I had it on my 2002 cr250 and moved it to my 2004 CRF450 this year.

Doug Dubach, the old guy that has been riding for Yamaha for many years, uses the oversize braking wave rotor.

From what I have read out of the dirt bike mags, the braking wave rotor is very good.

The EBC oversize kit is 280mm rotor, chock full of killer stopping power. Just ask my collarbone! The first day I rode with it I went into a corner too hot and went to panic stop...I grabbed the lever like I used to and it sent me over the bars....

For the $$$, the EBC is a killer kit with somewhat less of a bling bling factor than the "stand out and take notice" look of the wave rotor.

The EBC kit will stop you in a hurry. Either will...but EBC is cheaper, and that is a GoodThing© 😢

EBC is 280. Yes the stopping power is great. After you put one on, ride it then jump on a bike with the orginal disk and you'll never go back.

EBC is 280. Yes the stopping power is great. After you put one on, ride it then jump on a bike with the orginal disk and you'll never go back.

DOH! You are right! I had a brainfade (maybe it was the rum n coke haha)...280mm yep! Stock is 240mmm I think...

I dont have the oversized Braking wave rotor just the standard size wave rotor and honestly believe that my braking is stronger.

the braking wave is only 260mm compared to the EBC at 280mm, but they are both oversized 😢

yes, the braking is smaller than the ebc but over-sized is over-sized. less experienced riders would struggle or make a comment about almost crashing with added power of the braking rotor on my bikes. experienced riders come back raving about the stopping power & feel of either ebc or braking.

the stopping power of both are very good. the ebc feels a little more linear cause of the larger diameter.

as someone posted earlier, once you've used an over-size rotor, you will always want one.

Both work great...

I recommend using the brand specific pad for each manufacturer...

I have vast experience with both brands and the matching pads always yielded the best results with either...

Plus the use of Non matching pads voids the warranty of the disc's!!!!!! From both manufacturers!!!!

Either way.. Both are a step up, it just depends on the bling factor you are going for.

Vert

I hated the EBC pads on my EBC rotor. It turned it black, and they squealed. Uggg.

Go with a NEW set of stock pads with the new rotor and it will work great. At least on Nissin brakes, you simply cannot go wrong using stock pads.