Sign in to follow this  

What GPS do you guys use??

I was thinking of getting one,but not sure of the right one to get..I guess size,durably,price and being all and all a good unit matters the most..

any input would be great..Thanks..

Do a search in the dual sport & general forums, some good

old threads on the subject. There was also a decent post

in the drz forum last month with good input.

I have the Garmin Rhino 130, great features and I like the

integrated radio & peer to peer sending feature. Tracks very

good and holds 24mb. Paid @ $275. Garmins mapsource software

is nice and the US Topo map CD has nice detail.

It depends on what you are looking to do with the GPS. If it's just to help you keep track of your location, where you parked, etc... a basic GPS unit will work fine. I have a Garmin ETrex (basic $99 version) on a RAM handlebar mount. It does everything I need. However, if you want to get into mapping, you will need to buy one of the fancier units. Also, if you want to get into serious GPS usage, you'll want to power it from your bike. I run mine on batteries and it will shut down on occassion, but its really not too bad. If I was mapping, it would be a big problem.

I use a Garmin Legend and a Ram mount on my bike. I also use the same GPS in my on-road bicycle and off-road bycycle.

One thing I found is that batteries tend to be slightly different in size, and I have found some 1800mah NiMH batteries that work well in the GPS. Similar batteries tend to vibrate and shut off the unit from losing contact.

I have not done the silicone "kisses" mod to my battery door either--never needed to since sorting out the batteries.

Also, don't try to look at the GPS when moving!

I use the Topographic map CD and it actually does provide a lot of detail for off-road trail riding.

I use a Magellan Sportrack Topo and Ram mount. You can see where it mounts just behind the number plate above the bars. I have way-points set for all the different points of interest around my riding world and have downloaded most of my trails to my home computer. Sure comes in handy when trying to figure out where to build the next trail. I also carry a Glock E-Tool (shovel) on the front fender and a Becker Patrol Machete mounted between the bars and number plate. I've decided to stay out of the gym and get my excercise building and maintaining many miles of trails.

XR250R.gif