Sign in to follow this  

Spongy Front brake - suggestions?

Guys,

My 02' WR Front brake works fine but feels spongy and I can pull the lever all the way into the bar if I want to.

Pads are almost up for replacement.

I would like to bleed the line but one of the + screws on the top reservoir is rounded and I cant get any bite from a screw driver.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated! 😢

I would be tempted to break the cover and then remove the screw with a pair of pliers. It strikes me as less risk than trying to drill the screw and trashing the resevoir threads.

I'll leave that to you. 😢

You could get an impact driver and use it. If there is any head left on the screw it should do it.

LIS-29200.jpg

The brakes will need to be bled form time to time. It is also a good idea to replace the fluid every so often. The thing is, your gonna have to be able to add fluid at some point, so go ahead and gain access to the resevoir.

Replace the pads and then take a tie-wrap and wrap the brake lever against the handelbar. Leave it overnight and you should have a firm lever in the morning.

First use a decent impact driver to remove you phillips head screw , Then once you've done that replace brake line with a fastline braided brake line CR style ,There about $80

Then replace your fluid .You'll be suprised how good your front stoppers will be with a decent braided brake line ... Best Of Luck ... 😢

Replace the pads and then take a tie-wrap and wrap the brake lever against the handelbar. Leave it overnight and you should have a firm lever in the morning.

Beezer. tell me more about this. what does leaving the bar in do? what takes place? What are the steps?

thanks

You blokes rock 😢

Thanks for the suggestions - got a big ride up in North East Victoria (Bright - rocky and BIG hills) this weekend! Hopefully will get it fixed and it will be spot on!

This is hard to explain, but here goes. Use a small chisel or punch and try to turn the screw with the punch by tapping on the screw head in a counter clockwise direction. You just want to cut into the outside edge of the screw head and turn it while tapping on the punch. This will ruin the screw, but usually it will come out.

you could use a dremel with a cut-off wheel, then cut a notch for a flat screwdriver to fit in it and then use a screwdriver to screw it out. it worked for me

i had the same problem i carfully drilled most of the head using 4 mm drill bit then forced the cover off the remove thereads with pliers.BECARFULL DRILLING OUT DO IT SLOWLY.i done no damage at all i then fitted stainless hex head screws.also i fitted a new goodridge brake line honda cr style this made a big diffrence.it take a while to bleed lines.now brakes are very good

you could use a dremel with a cut-off wheel, then cut a notch for a flat screwdriver to fit in it and then use a screwdriver to screw it out. it worked for me

That's what I'd do...

The dremel idea is cool but I ended up using a hammer on the end of a screwdriver 😢. Because the metal of the screw was quite soft it actualy gave the screwdriver something to bite on when I had another go undoing it. Breathed relief when it came out though!

I have now bought new pads and a BF Goodridge braided line which should make a big difference!

By the way the replacement screws for the reservoir cover at Melbourne City Yamaha cost $1.80 AUD ($1.40 US) what a take for a 20c screw....

Aussie One the best way to bleed the brake pads is to reverse bleed them by forceing fluid from the bottom of the caliperm bleeder into the master cylinder. Take the cover off of the master cylinder. Attach a clear tight fitting hose to the caliper bleeder fill the hose with fluid either with a squeeze bottle or cracking and letting the fluid fill the hose leaving no air bubbles. once the hose is filled attach the squeeze bottle to the hose. Crack the bleeded and squeeze fresh fluid into the caliper. I usually remove the caliaper from the fork to remove the bend from the hose. The brake hose should be straight or air will stay tapped in the bend. If you have a WR after you have reversed bled the brakes put the cover back on the resevoir, remove the master cylinder from the handelbars, and hang the master cylinder from a string over head. This removes the the bend from the brake line and the air will rise to the resevoir, you can tap the line to excelrate the movement of air.