Sign in to follow this  

Asterisk knee braces?

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum.First id like to say thanks to everyone for all the great info on mx.Im

wanting to get some braces for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had ever used or know someone who has

asterisk braces.My insurance co turned me down for CTi so I

will have to pay for the braces myself.I cant afford the

cti's.The Asterisks look like they are made well but before

I spend 500 + dollars I sure would like to know more.

Thanks in advance,Ray

I've used Asterisk braces now for about a year after tearing both my MCL and ACL playing hockey. I think they're great!

I don't even notice that I'm wearing them and have used them for riding, cross country and downhill skiing as well as hockey.

I took a bad fall in an enduro last year and am pretty sure that I would have injured my knee and leg badly if I hadn't had on the Asterisks. I highly recommend them.

I bought two pair awhile back, one for me and one for my son. I really only wanted some for him but got a deal on the two pair. I liked the support but hardly ever wore mine cause they were one size too big for my knees, so I sold them a few weeks ago to someone who'd get some use outta them. My son never rides without his and loves them. The only time he feels them at all is when he's standing around yacking cause of the adjustment to prevent hyperextension. Otherwise he has no complaints with them at all. The little straps that hold on the patella cup do wear out fast, but we just replace the straps with zips ties as needed. If I ever decide to get some for myself, I'll get another pair of the Asterisks. They are far superior to anything else we looked at (other than the CTIs).

Man i wnat some alot of the top riders use them. not that that means anything but i have read alot about them being good.

I've heard of one freak accident with braces of this caliber. a fellow went down so hard and the brace was so strong it ended up breaking his femour instead of the brace.

I think thats kind of an odd situation. but man that had to suck.

I have the thor knee force guards, and they have saved my bacon on a 'morethenicancount' kind of thing. They only cost like 40bux or so and they give me piece of mind.

Not that I'm trying to deter Astrick or anything. Just a tought 😢

Do a search for "knee brace study(or studies) ".

All recent medical opinion points toward knee braces doing nothing to prevent injuries to HEALTHY KNEES. They may help weak or compromised knees.

There is a reason football players no longer use them.

Saying this got me, a former moderator at DRN, banned from the site(because they just got a major sponsor to their site....a knee brace company). Imagine that happening over there.

I've heard of one freak accident with braces of this caliber. a fellow went down so hard and the brace was so strong it ended up breaking his femour instead of the brace.

The theory behind these types of knee braces is for the brace to break instead of your leg.

I am pretty sure the frame would break before your femur. I broke a frame a while back.

I wear them all the time. I tore my ACL/MCL/menicus playing Basketball in 1997, and tore my MCL in my other knee in a HS. I didn't even crash, just got my foot stuck in some sticky carnegie mud while the bike slide down a hill, my foot came out but the MCL already tore. 😢

Anyways, I had a incident this Sunday that was far worse than either of those two experiences (much more pressure on my knee) where I hit a large mud puddle while landing and the bike just slide out ad off to the left, I saved it and there was no damage to my knee. I'm sure I would of tore something as all my weight and the bikes weight multipled with some good speed all went on my left asterick brack, and not on my knee.

It a free country, but I won't ride without some sort of brace after this and many other close calls. When I tore my MCL, I was wearing some Fox/thor knee guards which I don't wear any more. They help for falling straight on your knee but do nothing for a extreme side load on your knee. The brace does just what it supposed to do, it helps to brace the load putting less stree on you.

If you buy braces, be sure to get the newer MX pants with large knees, otherwise you'll loose some mobility on the bike.

Cheers,

Do a search for "knee brace study(or studies) ".

All recent medical opinion points toward knee braces doing nothing to prevent injuries to HEALTHY KNEES. They may help weak or compromised knees.

There is a reason football players no longer use them.

Saying this got me, a former moderator at DRN, banned from the site(because they just got a major sponsor to their site....a knee brace company). Imagine that happening over there.

There is a definite benefit in preventing the hyperextension and lateral bending of a straightened leg. There is also a range of impact/force/energy that knee braces will absorb preventing injuries while an unbraced knee would be injured. I have no doubt that knee braces don't do much for twisting injuries and I am sure you can exert forces beyond the structural integrity of the brace, but I also have no doubt that the braces will protect knees in many cases (healthy or otherwise).

I'd rather have protection against the many lesser falls and other stresses on my knee because something bad is going to happen on the bigger crashes either way.

I just wish they were a bit less bulky.

If it will protect a compromised knee, how could it not protect a healthy knee???

There is a definite benefit in preventing the hyperextension and lateral bending of a straightened leg. There is also a range of impact/force/energy that knee braces will absorb preventing injuries while an unbraced knee would be injured. I have no doubt that knee braces don't do much for twisting injuries and I am sure you can exert forces beyond the structural integrity of the brace, but I also have no doubt that the braces will protect knees in many cases (healthy or otherwise).

I'd rather have protection against the many lesser falls and other stresses on my knee because something bad is going to happen on the bigger crashes either way.

I just wish they were a bit less bulky.

If it will protect a compromised knee, how could it not protect a healthy knee???

How do you know it does that? Because they SAY it does it? Read some studies.

I tore my acl, and the funny part I kept on riding went home fell asleep. Then they next morrin I got out of bed feel down on my face with my knee was hurting me. I was wondering what the hell is wrong. My Dad was pushing me, and calling me a baby. Final some how I went down my 52 steps to the truck, and Dad took me to the DOC. Thought to tell you that story, beacuse I think its pretty funny.

I rather break a bone that heels, than something that doesn't(JOINTS ARE THE WORST THING TO BREAK AS IN HEELING WISE). 😢

You all probly know everything I said, but at least you get to read my story.

I've been wearing Asterisks for 3 years and notice one big difference. After a very rough 2 hour hare scramble, my knees don't hurt as much as they used to. At 51 years old now, I'm sure my knees aren't getting ay better!

I also think they do a bit of distibuting the general stresses that would usually target the knees to the upper and lower leg bones. This necessitates the requirement for a really good fit, and the Asterisks have a lot of adjustability. Spend the time to get them dialed in. I have also gotten my boot stuck in ruts and mud and not experienced any damage...

The only bad thing was when I inadvertantly stepped through my loading ramp and the extra width of the knee brace wedged my leg in so tight, I had to remove my boot and brace to get my leg out 😢

They are a bit bulky, but, in my opinion, well worth the money. 😢

I have had my Asterisk knee braces for about 6 months now and really fell in love with them. Pretty damn comfortable also. I would definitely consider a set.

This is exactly what happened to my brother. Femour broke when he got tossed while racing at Gorman last year. Serious steel plate and three days in the hospital. Broke right where the brace ended. Now I am starting to ride, have had an acl replacement already and am wondering if I should use braces...I don't plan to do anything but ride trails???