Sign in to follow this  

Riding in N.E, Michigan

We will be going back to Northeast Michigan after the snow clears, and I'd like some ideas on where to ride, and what I have to do to be legal. Are quads legal on all cycle trails, or is the riding area for them more limited? It's been over 20 years since I've ridden in Michigan, and I'm sure things have changed. I also want to know if anyone has street registered an off road bike in MI. I'm thinking of dual sporting my CRF and TTR225. Thanks in advance for the input, Joel F. 😢

You'll find most trails in MI are either open to quads*ACK*, or have a separate loop for atv use. And there are LOTS of trails in northern MI. 😢

As far as the DS issue, thats easy. MI law requires the following:

~Horn (this can be a squeeze horn from Wal-Mart)

~DOT tires(again this is subjective depending on WHO does the walk around on your bike)

~Brake lights and DOT headlight

~at least ONE mirror on the left side

~speedometer(you can use a bicycle compute, they're cheap and programable so they tend to be more acurate anyway)

Turn signals are not required as long as you use hand signals.

To be legal in the wood you must have:

~an approved spark arrestor

~pipe no louder that 96db

~ORV permit(these are availible from meijer or most shops for $16.25)

there are several guys here on TT and it's easy to get a group together most weekends. Check out the NORTH forum for more info. 😢

😢

i have not ridden the east side but the west side is great! We have tons of trails, single track to seasonal roads. You'll want to street legalize for MI riding IMO as it makes it easy to jump from trail to trail or bust into town for gas. Take a trip up North to the U.P. well worth the time, endless trails and the people are great.

OK, There's got to be more Michigan Thumpers out there. Primarily interested in the area between Bay City and Alpena. How about it?