Sign in to follow this  

I should've known better.......Most cost effective engine casing fix?

Afternoon folks,

Towing my mate's drowned KLR650 out of the desert (UK riding area) today we had a bit of a mishap and my gear lever put a crack in my engine casing 😢.

What's the best cheap vs. effective fix for this?

I have been meaning to get case savers - but I'm over here, they're over there....it'll never happen to me....etc 😢

Any advice much appreciated. I've tried a search but without much luck (diff terms for US folks?).

Ta 😢.

And if you do happen across here - A huge thanks to the geezer with the flatbed who took two strangers and their filthy broken bikes 25 miles home. You're a star 😢.

Cheers folks.

Witha magnesium motor always carry some JB Weld with you. It can mean the difference between a long walk with your bike left to the buzzards or a ride it carefully out of there. prairiedawg 😢

"JB weld" may require some explanation. It is a common commercial product available in auto parts stores. It is a 2 part, aluminum filled, epoxy putty. It comes in 2 tubes (like small tooth paste tubes). Squeeze out equal parts of tube "A" and tube "B", mix together, then apply to the broken part. Let cure overnight and you're done. "JB weld" has nothing to do with actual welding. It is just a name that implies: strong, like a weld. Some other products come as putty sticks and work the same way. You must have something similar in jolly old....

Thanks for the replies folks, and the explanation.

I'll have a look if anywhere here sells JB Weld, if not I'm sure they'll be an equivlant.

Ta very much 😢 .

As per Bronco's pic.

They were also called the Z550 G4 and were a UK market tourer version of the GPZ550. Hence the GT = Grand Tourer.

They were on sale here (unchanged) from 1983 to 2002, finally succunbing to EU emissions laws.

Incredibly reliable and with a shaft drive they cost pennies to run so make great everyday transport (I don't drive).

Also suprisingly good handling, a massive tank and good MPG - London couriers love them, as do I 😢 .

One of mine has 134,000 miles on the clock and is still a guaranteed starter, if a little tatty looking.

Thanks. I've got the picture now. And shaft drive too, how nice. I may have seen some when I was in IR a few years ago. Did the police use them? Yes, GPZ550 over here and long gone for many years.