Sign in to follow this  

tire questions

We'll, I found out 1st. hand why they're called death-wings. The first time and really the only time I had my drz400s on the dirt I dumped it. Conditions were hard and dry, and that's the only condition I've heard death-wings are even close to acceptable. Luckily it only took a month for my shoulder to feel mormal again! Anyway I'll probably go with the Dunlop 606 front and back unless further research leads me in another direction. My riding is mostly street but I don't want this death-wing handicap if I ever get back on the dirt. I'm not too concerned with loosing street performance since my street riding is quite conservative and cautious.

Questions: Is wheel balancing always required when tires are changed?

If the answer is yes, forget the second question:

I would say I have higher than average mechanical ability and would like to change the tires myself. What special tools (if any) would be required to change the tires? Is there a written procedure including "tricks" to make it easier? I once attemped to change the rear tire of my XR 75 when I was a kid, I just couldn't get the new tire on and ended up taking it to a shop.

You can change the tires yourself. There are several recent write-ups on tire changing, all full of good info. Do a search here and also do a google search and you'll find lots. If you know somebody who is good at it, ask them to show you how they do it. It is all about leverage and not about force if done right. Although, I think I heard trav talk about a guy that is so G'normous that he just pulls the tire off the rim. 😢

Get two good long spoon-type tire irons and maybe some shorty irons for your trail pack. Put corn starch on the tube when fitting it into the tire. I use Windex as lube on the tire when fitting it onto the rim. Others use WD40.

My favorite trick is to slightly inflate the tube before seating the final bead. It really helps to prevent pinch flats from the irons.

Drew

Oh, yeah, thanks in advance...

Hey Drew, Drew here, thanks after.. So balancing is not required? I do hit the highway occationally, hopefully more so in the future once I figure out where I can go off-roading within a reasonable distance from the urban jungle I just can't seem to move away from. I guess vibes at 65 should tell me? Maybe I should just have the dealer change the tires and balance? No rush, that's a late winter/spring project....

Thanks again, everyone...

Drew W.

If you're changing the tires yourself you can balance them yourself too. Just put the axle thru the wheel after the new tires are on and set it up on a couple of blocks or jack stands. Spin the wheel and whatever part settles to the bottom is heavy, then spin it again to make sure. Put some stick-on weights opposite. Once the wheel is balanced, it'll slowly stop but not at the same place each time. On your DRZ there is a very particular sequence for putting the front wheel back on. MAKE SURE you follow it. Search the DRZ forum for the process. I can mount and balance tires but don't usually. My local dealer does it free if I buy the tires from them. The tires cost 5-10 bucks more than if I bought them elsewhere, so I spend a couple of extra bucks and save myself some trouble.

You will be vary unhappy if you don't balance your tires for street riding. D606 are among my favorite tires (IMO the front 606 sucks off road) and perform great on the street even with low air pressure.

I thought only Harley owners could not change there own tires 😢

Balancing even srickly dirt wheels does make a difference. For sure balance your street wheels and check 'em after every tire change.