Sign in to follow this  

Speedo question

I am interested in the Trail Tech speedo. However, I am concerned about changing speedos and the implications for selling my bike. I have low miles on my bike and will probably not keep it beyond 5K miles. But, if I were buying a used bike with an aftermarket speedo and the guy tells me it has low miles, I would tend to wonder. What happens to the mileage on the original speedo once disconnected? In other words, is there any way to keep track of both mileage totals for the purpose of accurate reporting? When selling the bike, could I power up the old speedo and have the mileage showing to add to the mileage on the Trail Tech? This is one case when I wish I had an analog odometer. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! - Bill

most dirt bikes don't have any speedo/odo. does it really matter for resale value on this bike?

most dirt bikes don't have any speedo/odo. does it really matter for resale value on this bike?

I think it matters.

I believe when you disconnect the stock speedo it'll save the odometer info and then you could do as you suggested by powering it up later. Otherwise you could just disconnect the battery every so often to erase your total miles and claim low miles when you sold it.

I too believe it matters on a dual sport, because in many states you have to sign an affadavit stating the mileage is correct. Doesn't apply to non-tagged dirt bikes, but does to tagged bikes.

if your worried about,you really dont have a choice do you?

Yeah, I guess you're right. This is the only honest way to deal with it. I'll keep the stock set-up. Thanks for the feedback guys.