Sign in to follow this  

Suspension, how to's and how to tell's

Ok well I recently bought myself a 05 YZ450 after coming off a really badly tuned 03 RM250. I have been riding for about a year and Im getting really good so now I want to tune the suspension to my weight ability and the tracks around me. I myself am 15 years old and I weigh 187lbs(no lie), 5'8 and ride in B class. What my real question is, how can you tell when the suspension is tuned bad, and when its tuned right. I get alot of armpump in less then 3-5 laps. The average track is anywhere from technical(1-2 gear) all the way to wide open(1-3 and 4th gear). Plenty of tables, a triple and alot of braking bumps and a few doubles. My bike is totally stock as for a TwinAir airfilter and I really want the suspension tuned right for a change. Now I dont really have alot of money to work with either, just thought I would let you know.

for your weight that bike should be perfect! set your sag correctly after the spring breaks in. start at the reccomended settings and experiment in two clicks in the direction you need help. there is a tuning section in the back of the book that is extremely helpful in explaining which way for what, and the baseline settings are in the susp. section. if they didn't give you a book,get it your gonna need it! they also say those new forks are great so they shouldn't have to be sent out to the boinger pro's until your riding ability overcomes their ability to perform. 😢 :cry:

try some bar inserts to cut vibration. That made a huge difference in my arm pump. 450's vibrate alot....

Ok well I recently bought myself a 05 YZ450 after coming off a really badly tuned 03 RM250. I have been riding for about a year and Im getting really good so now I want to tune the suspension to my weight ability and the tracks around me. I myself am 15 years old and I weigh 187lbs(no lie), 5'8 and ride in B class. What my real question is, how can you tell when the suspension is tuned bad, and when its tuned right. I get alot of armpump in less then 3-5 laps. The average track is anywhere from technical(1-2 gear) all the way to wide open(1-3 and 4th gear). Plenty of tables, a triple and alot of braking bumps and a few doubles. My bike is totally stock as for a TwinAir airfilter and I really want the suspension tuned right for a change. Now I dont really have alot of money to work with either, just thought I would let you know.

Also, try using your legs alot more by squeezing the bike and teach yourself to relaxe your grip, oh and elbows up...always.

Good Luck, KaBooM

try some bar inserts to cut vibration. That made a huge difference in my arm pump. 450's vibrate alot....

i've got some fasstco inserts for pro taper/renthal only used a little. cheap!!! 😢