Sign in to follow this  

What do you do about a warped rotor?

My back brake rotor has a slight bend in it. Enough that you can hear it when you spin the wheel. What do you do about it. If I replace it, what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

I have the same thing happening. If you search the newsgroup you'll find others that have had it happen also. What I did and others had suggested is just taking an adjustable wrench and use that as a “lever” and bend back the high spot. When you spin the wheel you will see the area that is in question.

To prevent this, I am not sure if a rotor protector would do the trick or not. I’m not sure if it’s bending from impact or just heat warping. There are many companies that sell protectors for the disk.

Doug

Ive done the adjustable wrench trick before. Worlks pretty good. But that was on a bent rotor. I dont know about a warped one. Miht work. Worst case you replace the rotor of you screw it up.

I used the wrench trick on a bent rotor, but for a mild warp I'd leave it alone. After a hard ride with some heavy braking, the warp will probably be gone or in another spot.

My mountain bike disks warp and unwarp all the time. A couple good hard grabs seems to bring things back in line.

mg