Sign in to follow this  

Noise coming from the top end

My 04 wr250 only has 300 miles on it and it is making a metalic clicking noise which seems to be coming from the top end. It was not there on my fist few rides and I do not hear it untill I have been ridding for a little bit and the bike is really warmed up. Also, at high r.p.m. I do not hear it. Im thinking my valves need to be checked or maybe something with the timing chain. It seems like very few people have had to adjust there valves so this worries me. What do you guys think it could be? Also I am scared to tear into the motor. I do not have a torque wrench either, do I need one to re torque the cover on top? How difficult is it to check this stuff out for someone who has little mechanical experienc but would like to lean so I can deal with my own problems. Thanks for any info> Paul

learning is just a service manual and a torque wrench away. Plus lots of help me questions on here. 😢

Read the manual. You should be able to determine if you're a putz or not. 😢

I must be a putz. I dont see where the manual shows the clearances for the valves or how to check. I do see where it shows how to remove the cylinder head cover though. And I was wondering if the short feeler gagees that I have will work. They are like 2" or less long. Paul

Thanks I found the specs and procedure. How important is it that the cover that covers the cams get torqued with a torque wrench? Can I just tighten them to feel? Also do the feeler gages need to be longer than 2" to reach?

You do need a torque wrench when tighening the cam covers. if memory services me correct 7.2 ft/lbs. The best thing to use is a 1/4 inche torque wrench, (which will probably come in Inch pounds.so you will need to set it at 86inch pounds.

The noise you are hearing is more than likey your timing chain. they do make alittle noise, does it do it more at low rpm with a load on the engine?

You will have to trim the feeler gagues so the end is about 5/16 wide for about a inch and quater with a pair of snips or scissors, and the remove the bears off of the feeler gagues with a knife sharpeening stone. Follow the manual for checking the clerances. If they are out of specs, STOP and seek knowlegable help. If you screw it up changing the shims it could be a costly experence.

Thanks for advice. The noise I am hearing is mostly at low rpm and with a load but also when slowing down which I guess is also a load. If it is the timing chain is there anything that I should do about it? I was told that the timing chain adjusts automaticaly. Is this true? also why would it make the noise only when really warm. How long do my feeler gages need to be to check valve clearance? Thanks everyone for advice. Paul.

2 inches should be enough on the feeler gauges but the width of them is important as stated before, you may have to trim them.

The timing chain uses a spring loaded tensioner (left side of bike sticking out of the back side of head) You may want to take this off. and make sure it is working properly. to take it off. take the bolt out of the center of it. its a 10mm or 12mm can not remember then take a small flat screw driver and put it in the slot the bolt was covering up, turn it in till it is hard to turn. the undo the 20 8mm bolts holding it on. once you get it out. tap it with the screw driver and the plunger should shoot out make sure it does it smoothly. If so wind it back inside and reinstall, do not forget the little crush washer on the bigger bolt you removed. also it could be doing when it is warm because metal expands as it heats up so there for your chain may lengthing alittle bit. alittle bit of noise is normal though. Listen to someone elses bike and compare that too yours.. What year is it anyway.

Thanks again for the info. My bike is an 04. I will check the chain adjuster and I want to check my valves, but do not have a torque wrench. You stated that I do need a torque wrench to put the cover back on that is on the top of the engine. The one that needs to come off to look inside the top end. Is a torque wrench really nessesary? Isnt it just a cover with a gasket? Thanks, Paul.

Is a torque wrench really nessesary? Isnt it just a cover with a gasket? Thanks, Paul.

If you look in the Manual you will see that there are plenty of areas of the bike where a torque wrench can and should be used. Buy a torque wrench, one with a range that covers all the specified setting in the Manual. As you get more aquainted with the bike you will work on it more and more. You can of course do the nuts up by feel but can you be sure that all of the bolts are tensioned the same? If they are not it could lead to the cam cover distorting, which will then lead oil leaks and ultimately lots more cost than buying a torque wrench.