Sign in to follow this  

XR 100 maintenance schedule

A couple months ago I picked the son up a new 2003 XR100 and noticed maintenance due after a hundred miles of riding for checking valve clearance and cam chain tension. I was going to bring it to the honda dealership to do the first maintenance cause the motor while in idle and hot makes more noise than maybe it should. Kinda a low sounding metal to metal sound. Maybe just normal but Im paranoid. Could this noise be the valve clearance or cam chain tension and should I get it in stat!!

At this moment I can do the basics such as change tires and oil but dont know much about this other stuff. The owners manual shows that valve clearance and cam chain needs to be checked and adjusted about every six months and they charge $106.00 just for labor on the initial break in service, not sure about it every other 6 months:o

Im going to have them do the first one cause its still under waranty and Im nervous about the noise but after that is it feasable for me to get a manual on the bike and do it myself. IM fairly mechanincally inclined and have to eventually get into all that stuff with my DRZ

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My daughter has an XR100 and hers has alot of valve train noise. That is more than likely what you are hearing. The timing chain makes alot of noise.

Valve adjustment is easy. Definately a do-it-yourself job if you can turn a wrench. Get the service manual and it will walk you through it. 😢