Sign in to follow this  

Another New Gal- Thumpette?

Hello been doing a fair amount of reading and decided this maybe just the place for me. I've been seriously considering my second bike and am leaning toward a DR after ruling out a BMW K1200S too spendy and probably not the right direction for me. Not sure which yet thinking the DRZ400 and yes I did read the beginner biker sticky. It didn't really address someone in my circumstances.

I've been riding a 1996 Suzuki Bandit 600 for 3 years now and thoroughly love it. I'm ready to expand in the knowledge department mechanically and riding wise. I'm thinking a DR would be the cheap/best route to go, but I need it to be street legal. I'm guessing a DR would be great practice for riding in the rain, snow, ice, sleet, hail and won't hurt the pocket book as bad when I biff it.

To make things interesting in the choice department I'm 5'0 and weigh a whopping 138 and dropping 😢 I have natural athletic ability and am not too worried about weight. I can pick up my Bandit (490+ pounds) the few times I've dropped it. I'm more worried about height, I live in a hilly area.

Also looks to be a good bike to learn about tearing down carbs, synching valves and messing with cams. I bought the DH the tools last Christmas, but I'm shy to tear into my perfectly mechanically running Bandit just for the heck of it.

Anyway, nice site you all have here and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Ps- Thumpette???? where did that come from? Reminds me of a whiny blue chick that lived in a mushroom (smurfette)

PPS- Nice to see such an active ladies forum 😢

Welcome!!! At 5', most full size bikes will be a challange. I hear the DRZ400 is a great bike. I will tell you that picking up a dirtbike isn't always as easy as picking up a bike in the street. When you are out on a trail you might be in deep mud, side of hill, slippery loose dirt, or some really rocky terrain. I tell you 250lbs can feel like 500lbs. If you can pick up a 500lb bike you know the correct body mechanics to do it. The reason weight becomes a factor for a lot of people is more of a preference. The lighter the bike, usually the more nimble it feels and is just all around fun. Plus, you expect to fall riding dirt. Just keep doing your research. I hear that the DRZ400 is one of the more sought out dual sports. When you get a dual sport you are going to have a heavier bike. If you want to touch the ground you will have to look into having the bike lowered. I am 5'4" and I cannot touch on the full size bikes. Kouba makes lowering links for some of the bikes, although I am not sure about the DRZ. You can also have the suspension companies lower them too. It is always exciting dirt bike shopping, so have fun. 😢

Welcome to TT! Nice to hear you're considering a DRZ. It's probably the best all around dual sport available. However bike height and weight are quite a bit more important off road than on. For someone of your height the DRZ will present challenges. If at all possible you should ride one off road before buying. There are lowering links and lower seats available, post in the DRZ forum for more info on what's out there cause I don't know for sure. I do know it's a great bike, very capable anywhere and alot of fun! Good luck!

Welcome young lady! 😢

Sold my DRZ 2 weeks ago. Darn.... 😢🤣

I woulda set it up for you, too. She was flawless. 😢 :cry:

You have access to more info on this site on motorcycles than any other place on the planet.

Enjoy!🤣😢

Welcome aboard! Thumpette comes from Thumpertalk and Thumperduded......eh, what's in a name? j/k 😢

Sheesh, you're a short one.

Ok, I have a DR-650, am 6' tall, and was on tip toes before I bought a gel seat.

My Daughter is 15, probably 5'9", and I bought her a DR-200, which probably would NOT be suitble for a 'seasoned' rider. So with that said, if you are STUCK on a Suzuki, although it sits very high, the DRZ-400 might be the ticket, unless you can find an older DR 250, or DR 350, those might not sit as high.......

Dunno if this will help, but at least I tried..also, check out the Suzuki forum...

DRZ400 is an amazingly reliable and versatile bike. I cant think of another bike that has it all like the DRZ

That said..the DRZ is a -tall- bike. I'm 6'2" and cant quite flatfoot it.

If you installed the kubalink-3 and a new lower seat, you would still only be able to do one foot.

Its got a 37 inch seat height normally you can drop that to like 32 maybe..or 33. At 5 feet high i doubt you have a 33 inch inseam.

kouba links here: http://www.koubalink.com/drzinstall.html

Other than the seat height, DRZ is an amazing bike. The DRZ forum is also by far the biggest bike forum on TT so plenty of help there.

Thank you all for the welcome. I lean toward the DRZ because I'm thinking it will have some similarities with the engine on my 600.

Glad to see the DRZ400 can be lowered to 33. My 600 at stock height is around about there. I'm hoping the narrower seat and the inherent sag of a DR will be the ticket. Looks like I need to go find a couple to sit on.

Thanks again 😢

I have a 29" inseam, cut the seat foam down and adjusted sag. Also raised the forks a little. After that it wasn't too bad except in tight spots, it was just too heavy to keep up. Fortunatly I didn't crash that much 😢

With the kouba links you should be fine... 😢

Another chick that wrenches!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!

peace,

janette