Sign in to follow this  

GPS system for my husband

My husband wants a GPS system for his DR650 as a Christmas present. Does anyone have any ideas of which one I should buy? Thank you!!!

Garmin GPS V, this is pretty much one of the best gps units to mount to a bike, I use it on mine, it is durable, and can be mounted horizontal or vertical. Most garmin units are also waterproof, but I would stick with garmin. Something like GPS thoughy ou might want his feedback since they are not cheap...

A lot of riders here use GPS for dual sporting. Is he a techie, or a non-techie like me? I have the Garmin E-Trex venture which is a very basic GPS. My needs are basic and it suits them very well. It download tracks and hit the trail. But, if/when I purchase another, I'll probably get the Garmin 76c model or something similar. I'd like to have mapping capability and supposedly they are hardened to prevent damage from vibration. I'd strongly suggest you go with a Garmin unit because EVERY DS ride I've ever done used Garmin compatible track files.

R

I use a Garmin Map 76 with mapsource topo software, hardwired to bike electrical and an external antenna. No problems after 3000 offroad miles.

I just upgraded my Garmin 3 to the new Garmin 76cs and took it on the VCMC ride. I was real impressed. It was very easy to read in all situations and it never lost track, even in the canyons and in the trees. It is also in color, is hardened for vibration and is waterproof and has tons of memory. I am using the TourTech mount. It held the unit in place and it did not seem to vibrate at all. The 76Cs cost me $429.00 from compwestusa including shipping http://compwestusa.net/compwestusa.net_non_ssl/Modern/itemdesc.asp?CartId=1463-EVEREST-2987JLYOV79&ic=GARMAP76CS

If you decide to order from them, do it by phone and have them check stock before ordering. I received the unit in 4 days form point of order. The Tourtech mount was $91.00 and has a place to permanent mount the hardwire plug to the mount so that it is a simple matter of installing the gps into the mount and you don't have to worry about plugging it into the gps or it vibrating loose.

There is also a $50 rebate for the Garmin 76CS from Garmin on there website

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/# This would make your price after rebate $379.00 and that would be a great price

Mike

My husband wants a GPS system for his DR650 as a Christmas present. Does anyone have any ideas of which one I should buy? Thank you!!!

I depends on your price range. I personally use and recommend the Garmin V unless you want to pay the added cost for color. The V also comes with a MapSource CD for your PC. I don't remember if the V comes with the PC interface cable or not. The best price I have found was at Best Buy. Don't forget a bike mount for the GPS.

The V also has auto routing, that way he can alway find his way back home 😢

The V comes with the interface cable, and is rated for the same vibration as the 76 series, at least according to garmin. Mine works fineon my KX500 and that is a vibration monster. I prefer the V because it take sup less handlebar space than the 76 series.

As you can see, everyone has their favorite. It all depends what your need are. It is true that the Garmin v is a smaller unit, but does not have color, it is harder to see in direct sunlight. The advantage of the 76cs is it has a larger screen so you see more of your route and it also can do auto mapping with turn by turn direction, so you can also use it in a car as a navigation device. The best thing you can so is to go some place where you can look at all of the models and get a better idea of what's available

Mike

As you can see, everyone has their favorite. It all depends what your need are. It is true that the Garmin v is a smaller unit, but does not have color, it is harder to see in direct sunlight. The advantage of the 76cs is it has a larger screen so you see more of your route and it also can do auto mapping with turn by turn direction, so you can also use it in a car as a navigation device. The best thing you can so is to go some place where you can look at all of the models and get a better idea of what's available

Mike

To this day....I have NEVER had any problem with seeing the V screen in direct sunlight at ANY time. The 76 and V have the same 2.2x1.5 screen display, color is easier to read. I have played with both, I love the color screen and wish the V had it, but would rather have the 115MB of memory the 76cs has then it's color. To me the biggest selling point of the V is vertical and horizontal screen orientation. For when I use the V in my truck, boat, car, RV or bike I can turn the screen to fit the placement.

But we are comparing a $321.41 to $589.27 (MSRP), which one would you chance at braking?

Your call......

The 76Color series have the same size screen as the Garmin V 92.2 by 1.5) with the Garmin V actually have better resolution, but that color screen is nice, I also have a 76C, but I chose to mount the V, plus the V comes with routing mapsource software and can be had for 300 bucks..a pure bargain.

The 76 series was built for the military. I had a long talk with the Touratech factory rep about this unit at the International Cycle Show last December. The 76 series comes in different trim levels. You can get a series for around 200.00 bucks and still get the better antannae, durability and better screen and resolution than most units.

You cant break this thing, I've tried. It's the only way I can justify getting rid of my 76S for the new color screen model. 😢

But, I'd have to agree with previous posts, get Hubby involved in the purchase. Give him a box with a Garmin GPS picture inside then make a date to go GPS shopping. Hey, before you know it you guys will be going on all sorts of dates..........new bike shopping dates, accessory dates, scouting new places to ride dates, lets throw the bike in the back of the truck and go hang out at A&W dates. Hmmm, I might be onto something! I see a new bike and goodies in my future! 😢

I am not so sure about that, the only gps units I have seen in any squadron I have been in is the GPS72 for our field excercises *shrugs*, if you ask garmin...the people who actually make the units the V is rated for the same vibration resistance as all of the 76/60 series. Then again they have given me bad information in the past.

If you REALLY loved him, you would spring for the Garmin 276C and a Touratech mount to go with it. Pricey, but he's worth it!

Good luck.