Sign in to follow this  

CRF50 drive sprocket problem

I just bought a used 2004 CRF50. I noticed that the drive sprocket was extremely loose. After removing the access cover, I verified that the bolts were tight on the holder sprocket. There appears to be a missing clip. After disassembing, I cannot line up the holder sprocket with the drive sprocket so that the 2 bolts will line up. Any suggestions?

once the sprocket is on the shaft, there should then be a retainer with two holes where the bolts go thru and a large hole that is splined like the sprocket. line up the splines on the retainer, slide it on. there should be a groove about 1/8" in from the end of the splined shaft that you can use to turn the retainer which will allow you to line up the retainer holes with the holes on the sprocket.

So, is what is holding the drive gear from moving side to side the retainer in the groove? Should there be any play? It wiggles some. Other bikes I have owned are fixed rigid.

Thanks for the help!

If i remember correctly, when i installed my friend's Fast50s sprocket it was a little loose... don't worry about it - it's a Honda! 😢

Some play in it is perfectly normal, its just how the Honda engineers designed it. It must be pretty good though as they havnt changed it since the bikes inception in 1969.