Sign in to follow this  

Oil for winter?

Hi, I know this is probobly going to be a question fielded by Wrooster, and thats fine by me!

Well, here in Michigan its getting colder and I want to prolong the season just a little bit longer. My WR is hard to start now and I know that is due to the thick oil. I am running Valvoline V-1R 20w-50 and have had great results. Now, its time for somthing thinner. What should I use? I know I can't just dump in any 5w-30 lying around so what are you guys using thats thin enough for temps between

30-60F? Thanks a lot. Oh also, do I need to change my oil filter when going to new oil, I wouldnt think so but what are your opinions?

Thanks

Yamaha makes oil specificaly for cold temps. I put it in my yz400 last year. Had no problems all winter with it. It is THIN oil. I thought last year that the thicker oil was making it hard to start. It was a little easier with the thinner oil. Although propper jeting helped a ton too 😢

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories/apscitemdetail/3/121/2936/All/1/detail.aspx

try the diesel synthetics 5w-40 shell Rotella T or the yellow cap Mobil 1 5w-40.

I've run them all year long in 100+F down to 30's.

Look in your manual and follow the temp charts. I found my bike to be a hard starter with Mobil 1 red cap 15w50 in it. I had easy starting with Amsoil 0W40. I think Amsoil may also have some 0W30 and some 5W30 too. I have Amsoil 10W40 in mine now and it will stay in it all winter for my bi-weekly starts, but I don't think I will ride on the ice like YZMan400 and the rest of his crazy friends and I don't think I am going on the ride in March either. My bike ran good last Spring though in morning temps of mid-40's F with 0W40 Amsoil. What ever you use, just make sure it does NOT have the friction modifiers in it and it does NOT say "energy conserving".