Sign in to follow this  

CR8E vs. CR9E

my bike came from the factory with a CR8E spark plug and when I went to get more from the dealer they gave me a CR9E. what is the difference?

The number in a NGK part number reffers to the Heat range of the plug. the hight the number the colder the plug so a CR9E is a colder plug than the CR8E both plugs should work, for alittle extra performance I would recomment a NGK CR8EIX

please note that the iridium plugs and other high performance plugs wont last as longs as the standard one 😢

they will go funny after a while and wont perform as good

since you ride mostly trails you want the cr8. It runs hotter and will burn off the wet fuel deposits better reducing the risk of fouling.

Yes and it is actually worth the extra couple bucks. It really improves throttle response. I was surprised a sparkplug would do that.

Get the Denso Iridium plug(IU24). I have been using these plugs for 2 years and haven't had any problems. I fing that they have a better reation than the NGK's.

Later

No but it will improve your throttle response. If you want to burn hotter you need to go to a CR7E. But you also run a risk of burning a hole in the piston. Just run the stock size or whatever the number stands for. I've never "fouled" a plug on any of my 4-strokes even if its covered in soot.

First off you dont want to mess with the heatrange of the plug that is designed for the motor. The manufacturer spends many hours testing the motor and determining the correct heat range plug.

A different heat range plug will not give you a hotter spark. What the heat range does is tell you how much heat the spark plug pulls for the combustion chamber. Here is some reading for you:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/techtips.asp?nav=31000&country=

Now for the higher end plugs, call NGK on the Iridiums. When I called them 2 years back, they said the iridium gets the more spark energy to the tip of the plug of anything they have made. This is why you see gains with the plug, more energy -- not the heat range. For how long they last, the iridium is the only plug I have every used on a 2 stroke that will clean itself out instead of fouling like the ES series plugs. I have seen it on a number of bikes.