Sign in to follow this  

How do you grease the linkage bearings?

Went riding today and when i got done i noticed that when the rear shock went down it sounded a little bit rough. I figured it just needed some grease in the linkage bearings.

How do you do this?

Does anyone have some good tips or ideas?

Havent really looked at it yet so i dont know how hard it is to do.

Thanks! 😢

u must take it apart. There are no grease fittings at all on the machine. You must disassemble every pivot point to grease them. From the factory, believe it or not, they do not grease these points very well at all. I have always taken my bikes apart the day i buy them to go over all of that. Be extra careful, they are all needle bearings, if you lose one needle, the bearing is no good, the best way to prevent this is, when you are taking out the inner race, push it out half way, then pack in some new grease, then push it on out and finish packing, then put the race back in to hold all of them in place. Make suer you dont damage the seals either, they are vital to bearing life. Good Luck !!! 😢

1. Take pictures from all angles of linkage.

2. Loosen all bolts/nuts but do not completely remove them until they are all loosened.

3. If the bike is an '02, I'd suggest getting linkage parts to replace the old..about $80( Pivot Works )

4. If replacing with new parts, you may find it much easier to take the linkage parts with the new replacement parts to a shop that could press out the bearings for you. If you are not going to replace the bearings, clean out the old grease with WD-40 or the like, dry, and replace with quality grease.

Off Road also has a decent article here:

Off Road CRF450 Linkage

NOTE: It is not necessary to take the rear shock, sub-frame or swingarm completely off just to grease the linkage. I would suggest taking the rear wheel off though, it makes it easier to move the swingarm when getting to certain linkage bolts.