Sign in to follow this  

skid plate or glide plate???

Ok I need to know what hte difrence is between a skid plate and a glide plate? Also I want to get something to protect the front of my engine cases right behind the front tire area the front of the motor. I ride MX only and just don't want to get roosted with rocs or something that can cause damage to the engine cases. I heard th eworks connection guages the frame at the rear. I have an 05 CRf450R I was thinking of a carbon one nice and light...but I want holes so the motor can breath some...and not trap th ehot air in so much.

I don't think blocking the air to the underside of the engine cases will cause it to run any hotter than it does. I run only mx and am interested in a glide plate just so the bike doesn't pickup 10-20 lbs during a muddy moto! In fact, on my '02, I pop-riveted an front extension on to my Works Connection glide plate to block the roost/dirt coming off the front tire keeping it from finding its way into that cavity (where the front downtube meets the two engine cradle parts of the frame.

From a cooling standpoint, the whole damn aluminum frame is a radiator so holes or no holes in a skidplate will be no different. Now I have been told by some of my Euro buddies that they prefer holes so it easier to wash the mud out; go figure. I prefer to keep it getting in there in the first place!! My 2 cts. 😢

glide plate is more for mx and you can add the engine guards and get the same affect as the bigger wrap around skid plate.i have the works glide and engine guards and haven't noticed any gauging(if thats the way you spell it)