Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on '00 DRZ 400S

I'm looking at a used '00 400s. I'm new to the model and would like to know what the opinions are on the '00 model year vs. later years. Am curious to know what were the key improvements to later model ('01, '02 and '03).

Also what would folks expect to pay for a low mileage (very low mileage) '00.

Dunno about expect to pay but 00 and 01 S models have quite a bit worse front suspension than 02 and later models. If you are a very beginner maybe you wont mind, but once you get some experiance you're gonna wish you had gotten 02 or later forks.

I've read that the early models had problems with the auto camchain tensioners.

The forks on the 01 and earlier S were different than the E and K models, so that's one thing to consider. The automatic cam chain tensioner should be changed for a manual one, not expensive or difficult to do. Lots of people check here to see what's a good price, just look around at the prices they are looking at. I've recently seen them offered for anywhere from about 1500-3000.

I've read that the early models had problems with the auto camchain tensioners.

ALL models should have the auto tensioner switched out for machinist's manual one.

😢 What exactly gets damaged if the cam chain tensioner fails? And where do they sell the manual tensioners?

Valvetrain can / will collapse causing massive (read expensive) damage. You can buy here.

Back to the bike....

The 00-01 forks are weak but the bikes are almost identical other than that. The older bikes may had for cheaper $$ so you can afford to do lots mods for the savings. 😢