Sign in to follow this  

What NOW???

Allright, I got a 2002 CRF 450. bought it USED, Dont know if any maitnence has ever been done. as far as I know its Still stock from 02. I am gettin ready to deploy over to iraq and will come back with a litte cash flow. So, i was thinking, 20mm(whats a good brand) What is a storm link? and will I need it if I got the 20mm clamps? new bearings for the linkage and axels, what elese? it still starts withn 1-2 kicks so i am guessing the valves are fine. Any other sugestions would be awesome!! thanks!! 😢

check the valves so you 'll know what the clearances are.grease everything and make sure all bolts are tight.get the triple clamps first and see how you like it.I have the 22mm off set on mine and i like it ,I did have a storm link on it and it helped but the clamps make the biggest differance.Stay safe over there 😢

New top end, new clutch, new cables, have the bottom end inspected, new bearings all around if you want, revalve suspension. The storm link chnages the linkage rate or something like that and changes the handling. The bike benefits from either 20mm or 22mm clamps. Pick to your liking. Thanks for fighting for our country i deeply appreciate it.

I'd like to thank you for fighting to better the lives of people you don't even know. Having said that, here's what's been done to my '02: the past owner of mine was a big, fast rider. He weighs 200lbs and is as fast a weekend warrior as I've ever seen. He is also very knowledgeable on bike setup and chose Tom Morgan Racing to do the suspension re-valve. Even though I weigh about 165-170 and am nowhere near as speedy, the bike feels very secure and doesn't do anything scary, I suppose it could be a little softer, but yesterday I over-jumped a nasty step-down dropoff and the bike soaked it up like it was nothing. I wouldn't hesitate to have TMR do the suspension if I had to have it revalved for my weight. Also, my bike has 22mm Applied clamps. The past owner said he had 20mm's on it at first, but felt the bike was a little twitchy, so he went to 22's. I also have a BraKing oversize front rotor on it and once you get use to it, there's nothing like it. One finger will stand it on the nose, which is kinda scary until you get used to ONLY using one finger. Other than that, it's all stock and on it's second piston and original valves. I'd also switch to and O-ring chain if you haven't already, just be sure to space out the countershaft sprocket so the chain doesn't gobble up your cases.

Ya, I was thinking about TMR for my suspension, I am from Lake Havsasu City AZ, thats were TMR had his shop before it moved to CA. Should I run a OEM 02' Piston, or should I get an 04' piston? thanks 😢

go with the 04 piston. a bit more compression and you can still run pump gas. i like the way the applied triple clamps look. if you got them in anodized red, that would look realllllll nice. and you could always put an aftermarket exhaust on. you don't need one, but if you've got the cash, you could drop a new cam in and put an exhaust, and piston, and that thing would run like a raped ape. and kick some ass for all of us who just stay home and watch the war on the news. 😢

thanks

I dont think I am going to put Exausht on, i just cut mine down, i am happy with it.. will putting an 04 piston in my bike affect the valves at all? thanks 😢

No. Not if you ride it the same. What kind of riding do you do? You had some real nice trail riding in Havasu. If trail riding is in your plans, I would not go up in compression. I think just making sure the motor is right is all you need for now. You do need to lube all bearings. This you can do. As the others have said thank you.