Sign in to follow this  

I rode today.......heavy emotions

I went out for my first ride in 9 months. It is hard to believe that it has been nearly nine months since I tore my ACL. I went to the track and strapped my new Asterisk baces to my legs. I had a weird very nervous feeling.....like riding for the first time almost. My feelings weren't helped much by the fact that there was a terrible accident on the track as I unloaded my bike. A rider went own on the backside of a blind jump. As he got up, a rider came over the jump and struck him. He was hit in the neck area and is seriously injured. The track was shut down as they did CPR to keep the rider alive until the Life Flight helicopter showed up. He is now in very critical condition and cannot breath on his on. Please keep him in your prayers.

After seeing this, I really became nervous. Once I got on the track I felt like I was in the way. I took it very slow and cringed with every small hop. To my surprise, my knee felt great. The only pain I had was in my hamstring where the graph was taken. This went away after I warmed up. As my day went on, I felt better and better. I slowly began to speed up, and by the end of the day, I had put in a good ride. I am nowhere near the speed that I was before my injury, but by the end of the day, I was passing a few guys and having fun. It was great to be back at the track, doing what i love to do, and being around my friends.

This injury is the second major spinal cord injury within the several weeks at my local track. Thinking of this and thinking of my own injuries, I can't help but question my choice of hobbies. My buddies and I all reflected on it today. None of us plan on hanging it up, but incidents like this really hit home as a wake-up call as to the risk that you accept when you strap on your gear and head out on the track. It felt so good to be back riding again, but I felt very sad to see that opportunity taken from someone else on the same day that I got it back.

Sorry to hear such sad news. Were there any flaggers? I can't see riding a track with large jumps without a flag crew.

When a day of fun turns into a lifetime of anguish, something is wrong.

Not many tracks I ride on have flaggers for practice days. Thats why I ride with my mirrors on all the time. Sometimes I think it looks stupid but if someone is coming up behind me I wanna know it. I'm not too proud to pull off and get outta the way. It's better than winding up on a ventilator.

flaggers during practice would be nice although i understand it's hard to get people to donate their time to sit there and flag just for a practice. there should probably be rule that says whenever there are kids or novice riders on the track, flaggers must be present.

i don't have too much problem with riders coming up on my tail 😢 and if they do, it's pretty much always going to be a fast guy with a booming 4-stroke exhaust so there's not alot of chance i'll not notice him. and then he's gotta try and execute a pass. 😢

it's good that you're back from your injury. in a month or so you'll forget you ever hurt it. 😢

if i had mirrors on my bike, they'd be broken off within the first day. 😢

This injury is the second major spinal cord injury within the several weeks at my local track.

Is your track design particularly dangerous? It it designed for advanced riders with novices riding on it?

If I were a track owner and guys were getting seriously injured on a regular basis, I would take corrective action on my track design. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Glad to hear you're back at it Wyatt 😢 I'll pray for the fallen rider, Hopefully they will recover.

if i had mirrors on my bike, they'd be broken off within the first day.

lol, me too. i would sport mirrors if i could find a small pair. all ive seen is these huge mirrors sticking out of the side. if i could find a smaller pair, i would get them

This injury is the second major spinal cord injury within the several weeks at my local track. Thinking of this and thinking of my own injuries, I can't help but question my choice of hobbies.

Yikes. I hate to hear about stuff like this.

Johnny, glad to hear you are back on your bike. The growing list of incidents I have either witnessed or heard about is also making me question my involvement in the sport. The problem is that is so downright addicting and you never think it will happen to you.

The only thing you can do at this point is limit your risk. Don't jump the blind jumps. Don't jump do-or-die doubles. And don't let your friends pressure you into thinking you are a wuss if you dont do some obstacles.

I'll tell you one thing, I always have more respect for the guy who is railing past me in corners than the guy who is jumping everything but falls over in ruts.

That track needs to pay people to be flaggers if there are blind jumps and other dangerous sections. A person getting paralyzed because the track owners are too cheap to hire flaggers is inexcusable! The tracks out here charge $20 per bike to practice. with over a hundred bikes a day, they can afford to pay $7 to $8 per hour for high school kids to flag.

It is a dangerous hobby/sport, but that doesn't mean the track owners can be negligent and not provide a couple flaggers. Even roller skate rinks have a couple safety people cruising thier rinks. Why not pay for a couple of flaggers?!

I was at that track also yesterday and was there to see the aftermath of that accident. The track is Three Palms. It is a great facility besides the fact that they do not have flaggers. The track where the accident happened has stands at each jump for flaggers. They have 2 motocross tracks, a supercross track and a couple of other small tracks. They have enough people show up to make it affordable to pay flaggers. At least on the track where this accident happened because it has the most blind jumps and the most traffic. It cost $15 to ride there now, I would spend another $5 to help pay for flaggers. I am glad to hear you are back riding.

I'm old and slow, so I always look behind me before "jumping".

XR400's don't exactly fly like an eagle.

Perhaps there needs to be a system where you flag for 20 minutes before you get to ride the MX track. You ride, then you rotated around.

Perhaps there needs to be a system where you flag for 20 minutes before you get to ride the MX track. You ride, then you rotated around.

That's a great idea! 😢

A lot of people pull off the track to rest. Let them replace the guy doing the flagging. Have an area where a rider could pull up beside the flagging tower and lean his bike over.

So the racers/riders that keep the track going should get out in their gear & boots & help flag as well as pay entry fee? I don't see that as an option. Designing the tracks safer, and riding conservatively during practice, especially if the track is crowded and full of blind jumps. We only have one really bad blind jump, and I simply don't hit it every time, unless it's clear behind & in front of me for a long way.

I don't ride MX tracks much and I'm constantly looking back as I'm slow.

This is not such a problem for me.

On race days, I wouldn't want to be flagging and racing.

My suggestion was for practice days. Only a suggestion to keep areas safer.

Another would be "chicken out routes" around big jumps. Basically, pull off the track, ride next to it, create a safe place to merge back on. That way you don't have children and old slow farts rolling the jumps while the local pro is jumping over and onto us.

Deaths in motocross use to be a yearly event. 30 years later, it seems to be weakly.

Don't forget to have fun!!. While some of us had a dream of being a star!, in this sport??, most of us find out that we're not gonna make any money!!, We just do this because we enjoy it!!!. Forget about the injuries,And just have fun!!!! 😢

I'm glad to hear that you made it back to riding after your injury and that you're having fun again. The incident you mention is saddening and he has our prayers. Personally, I think you're right in not hanging it up though.

A friend of mine broke his pelvis, ribs, etc, and, due to internal bleeding, was minutes away from losing his life. This was from a fall jumping a 10' table top.

His mother couldn't believe that we weren't all going to sell our bikes but, to me, if he was injuried while driving a car, I wouldn't have quit driving, you know?

That's not being indifferent it's just that things happen, you accept them and you move on.

It does suck though that they never seem to have flaggers and often mix 250cc/450cc, etc, with 65cc riders. You're either worried about landing on someone or being landed on.

if i had mirrors on my bike, they'd be broken off within the first day.

lol, me too. i would sport mirrors if i could find a small pair. all ive seen is these huge mirrors sticking out of the side. if i could find a smaller pair, i would get them

Here are some small folding mirrors that i use. Mirrors

We had the opening of Arena Cross here a week or so ago and on amature night a local kid from Ames put his chest into his bars breaking a rib and tearing his aorta off and died en route to the hospital of internal bleeding very very sad.. He was not wearing a chest protector and it was said that if he was it could have saved his life.. Always wear all the gear guys/gals it may save your life.

I beleive that our sport is to be considered very seriously. Riding a dirt bike over obstacles at high speed on the very edge of balance or out of balance is like I've been told kind of "extrem". This is our part. And I love the feeling of being in control in this environnement.

The other part depends of the design of the track. When I first started, a few (meaning 25) years ago, the tracks were built on mostly natural terrain. Now all the tracks try to copy the indoor design of stadium races because of the lack of space. The land costs money. Those tracks are made this way to attract spectators. They are very spectacular. BIG jumps, BIG triples, BIG tabletops, BIG everything. All of these BIG thing contributes to raise the risk.

We may need a kind of legislation to help building safer tracks. There are more riders getting seriously injured these years, and the design of the track is sometime to be blame. Some will say that if a rider isn't prepared for this type of track he shouldn't race. You are correct. But if you think about it, the situation is similar to what the rollerball players experienced (remember the old movie with James Caan), the higher the risks the players were exposed, the bigger the number of spectators. 😢

Our sport is dangerous, period. We have to acknowlege it.

Meanwhile, we have to take care of ourself. For us and our loved ones. 😢

Echo what Steve said, Glad your ok, sorry to hear about the incident.

Take your time, 😢

The sport is dangerous so is water skiing and snow boarding. My issue is that we have accepted that the average Schmuck (ME) can di 120 foot triple step ups. Well thats great for RC but not me. A 11 year old boy was killed at the Hollister Upper ranch flagging

Why is a 11 year old on the track?

Kids are expected to perform at the levels of seasoned pro riders on the same track. I wish they would institute a track grading system and enforce it. I think that would cut down on kids getting in over their heads and getting hurt. Obviously we can not counter the obvious accidents