Sign in to follow this  

Kickin

Hi,

I have been out of the motocross game for quite a few years now but last week I bought myself an 03 KTM 450 SX, this bike was apparently bought new from the dealer in January 04 and had had about 3 hours use when I bought it. All good so far.

The bike is great fun to ride and I think I got myself a good deal but the problem is it doesn't like to start.... In fact I have only managed, so far, to get it to start whilst leaning it up against a wall.

I know its a big bike and all that but I used to race a kx 500 which I could kick up fine.... and this bike doesn't seem any harder to kick.

Is there some special knack of getting them going, should I kick it as hard as I can or nice and steady..... someone said ktms are suppossed to be real easy to start........ please tell me how!!!?????????

I don't have a manual, I don't fully understand the decompression lever or the hot start (which the guy I bought it off said I shouldn't need to use?)

When the kick start is at it highest point, I only seem to be able to get about 120 degrees of compressed swing, every other bike i've ever had has been more like 170.

I have tried removing the kickstart and re-fitting on the next spline which seems to give me arout 170 degrees, but the bottom of the kick start rubs on the engine casing...... I could probably modify the kick start lever by grinding & polishing a little bit away.... but I am weary as I know this will weaken it.... and I managed to snap the kick start on my KX.... and they aint cheap..!

Any help/suggestions with this problem, and just plain old starting 4 strokes in general.... greatfully appreciated

Cheers

Rich

Derby Uk

-------------------

KTM 450 SX 03

Eagles may soar

but weasels don't

get sucked into

Jet Engines

These bikes start pretty easily unless they've just been dumped or something. Sounds like your jetting may need a little work and/or your valves need adjusting. You can see a how-to on setting the valves at the 2nd link under my email address in this post.

do you know how to approximately find TDC with the kickstarter? my buddy has a 525exc and when we went for a ride the other morning, he ran the battery down trying to start it in his driveway. while he was looking for tools and jumper cables and stuff, i hopped on, cycled the kickstarter through about 1 1/3 cycles slowly, found a harder spot that i imagined was tdc, gave it a kick and it fired right up. i learned this on my klx which pretty much won't start at all ever unless you get the cylinder in the right place.

mw

Adjust valves.

I have 2 450's, they start very easy if the valves are properly adjusted.

Enjoy your ride!!!

Mine fires readily hot or cold. BUT----Any twisting of the throttle at all while starting will cause a squirt of fuel from the acccerator pump that will flood it. And like the other guys said, make sure the valves are set properly. You said it had 3 hours on it from being brand new, could be it needs its first adjustment.

Hi

I also bought an 03 450sx and found it hard to fire up, ive been told NOT to tough the throttle when starting it as it is easy to flood the bike. it starts easy when hot. the red hot start does make it easier to start when hot beacause when you pull out the red button it leans out the mixture in the carb. there is a knack to starting it and is easy flooded.

On my ktm if it's cold I will twist the throttle once and that seems to prime the cylinder, then I kick it through 2 slow steady kicks, then one or two fast steady kicks and it fires right up. Just don't keep twisting the throttle as you kick(two stroke), it will flood. you might need to adjust the fuel screw, and the valves being tight will make it hard to start. 😢

I purchased an '04 KTM 450SX this year. It's my first dirt bike. Had some difficulty kickin' her over. That was until the KTM dealer's mechanic showed me how.

COLD START:

1st. Open the throttle fully a few times.

2nd. Squeeze the decompression lever and kick her around 10 times or so all the while with the throttle closed.

3rd. Continue to to squeeze the decompression lever and slowly kick 'till you feel that the piston is near TDC. Allow the kick start to return.

4th. WITH THE THROTTLE STILL CLOSED, kick thru.

HOT STARTS:

1st. With the throttle closed, squeeze the decompression lever and kick a few times. 10 or so.

2nd. Holdin' the throttle still closed, continue to squeeze the decompression lever. Again bring the pistion to TDC.

3rd. With the throttle closed and kick thru.

My bike will start on the first kick. Kick no more than 3 times.

You could have "fouled" the spark plug so check. It may need to be replaced.

Cheers mate 😢

Hi,

Had the plug out last night and it seemed to look ok.

Tried kicking it de-compressed (1 squirt of fuel), 4-5 times then 3 times normally without kickin it super hard (and without leaning against a wall!!) and she fired right up. 😢

I think it's just down to practice.. I start Racing next year and I don't want to lose places through a stall (falling off is bad enough!).

One thing else I have noticed is that when its cold I get a small flame from the exaughst when I rev it...... someone has said that it sounds like its running a bit rich and the mixture screw needs adjustment.

Where is the mixture screw and which way do I turn it?

Many thanks everyone.... 😢

I purchased an '04 KTM 450SX this year. It's my first dirt bike. Had some difficulty kickin' her over. That was until the KTM dealer's mechanic showed me how.

COLD START:

1st. Open the throttle fully a few times.

2nd. Squeeze the decompression lever and kick her around 10 times or so all the while with the throttle closed.

3rd. Continue to to squeeze the decompression lever and slowly kick 'till you feel that the piston is near TDC. Allow the kick start to return.

4th. WITH THE THROTTLE STILL CLOSED, kick thru.

HOT STARTS:

1st. With the throttle closed, squeeze the decompression lever and kick a few times. 10 or so.

2nd. Holdin' the throttle still closed, continue to squeeze the decompression lever. Again bring the pistion to TDC.

3rd. With the throttle closed and kick thru.

My bike will start on the first kick. Kick no more than 3 times.

You could have "fouled" the spark plug so check. It may need to be replaced.

Cheers mate 😢

Just joined TT, been over at KTMTalk for 1.5 years and have had my 450sx for 1.5 years.

Here's how I start mine,

Cold,

Turn on gas, pull out choke, twist throttle twice, hold front brake(keeps me from twisting the throttle), kick.

Hot (I shut it down)

hold front brake, Kick.

Hot (stalled, crashed)

Hot start out, hold front brake, Kick.

Starts 1st kick 80% of the time, never need use the manual decompression lever. Only time I have to kick it more than twice is when I lay it over, and even then it is usually only twice.

Point is if the jetting is on, and the valves are in spec the bike should be very easy to start.